Sunday, December 8, 2019

Sunday - a partial day of rest

Words.
(Power) Gentle

adjective
  1. 1.
    having or showing a mild, kind, or tender temperament or character.

(Force)  Rough

adjective
  1. 1.(of a person or their behavior) not gentle; violent or boisterous.

************
Hike Gear update:
Whoopie Slings and Hammock arrived yesterday.  The Jungle Expedition model has two layers of hammock to stop skeeters from biting through while also allowing for me to place an under quilt into the layers in place of a foam pad.
Brand new.  It was a bit of a mental challenge to tear into something brand new from the factory.  But open it up I must.

I cut into it's tie straps & covers hiding the main lines and started changing it.  I purchased the unit on eBay and the seller listed it as not having ropes.  I did not mind that since I was going to swap them out anyway.  Lo and Behold .... ropes.  @ 11' each side.
The ropes the seller did not know were attached to the hammock with a perfect bowline.

The adjustable length clips for the included tarp.  The knot had me puzzled a bit at first but it ended up just being flipped in thru itself several times to form a tightening slip line.

 
I swapped out the bowline with a loop from one of my Whoopie Slings.  The slings are very tiny and the rope is slippery for sure. Winding the clips on took 3 to 4 more loops but in the end, work perfectly and will allow for quick adjustment of the tarp when it arrives later in the season.  Last I checked, Hennessey's site was sold out of the Monsoon tarp.

 
I added back the slip covers for over the main loops and put on new zip ties to make it look factory, Added the clips to the extendable loop side of the Whoopie Slings.  Orange is my Foot end, Blue is my Head end. Clips can now be adjusted up the line for the new Monsoon or the or new/old asymmetric tarp that came with it.  Micro velco straps are for keeping the lines bunched for packing.
The whoopie slings make it easy to extend the rope length for hanging from about 2' long on each end to about 20' long total.  About 28' long total with the hammock stretched out.
Loops are seen here with the all important "Berry" or "Barry"  or "Bury". 
It is the woven part that acts like  a Chineese finger handcuff  and keeps the line taught if the line or  (Bury?) "IS" milked before using the hammock for support. 
Milked is like squeezing a a cow tit, one direction to squeeze it shut on the line.

My brand new hammock that came with a -$113+ savings and now spare parts of rope I can use to make a waist belt or whatnot, straps that are @ 4' long and the new tarp unwrapped from the factory.  When I add two 10' webs I probably will be able to stretch between two points from about 10' minimum to 40' or 50' apart and hang securely and peacefully.
My hiking pole should aid in placing straps higher up tree trunks and assist in bringing straps down.

*************
I've still to purchase Dutch titanium hardware and clips with longer tree straps for hugging trees safely.  Waiting on a deal.
Until then, climbing caribeaners and 4'straps
 are what I have to test.

As I've mentioned before, going ultra light on the back is heavy on the wallet. That has not changed.  This has been an adventure for sure.

As for future purchases still to be decided:

* Waiting on a quote from NeoTrekk on my backpack system design.  Quote includes a carbide tip section for my hike stick for icy conditions.

* Camp stove(s) depending on if I make them or purchase an all in one from any vendor cheaply selling an Evernew A.T. stove Kit.
Hennessy sells it as do many others from $106 to $154+.  

I really liked my Pepsi-G and Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy stoves.  I donated my previous titanium Little Dandy and my Pepsi-Guinness stoves to a young lad recently. Time has allowed for improvements in both designs "IF" I decide to make another setup for myself. About a $100 savings even with purchasing titanium squares to cut with a dremel cutting wheel.

* Tarp: do I purchase a Monsoon or convert my Asym to be a monsoon.  (Have sewing machine and I'm not afraid to use it). :)
My last tarp was a homemade RayWay with net tent.  I'm seasoned.

* Longer tree straps: $3.70 purchase or make my own.

* Rain jacket arrived (Under Armor) but is a little tight in the arm pits.  I will need to exchange it in a few days.

* Shoes:  two to 3 pair need to be purchased and broke in.

* Light weight mirror system for shaving and tick inspections.

That should be about all of it before water and food.  Time to pull out the hiking trinket box I have in the shed with stuff sacks and doo dads like my snake bite kit.  Final Pre-check inventory time.

Weigh EVERYTHING and make safety and security decisions for what goes and what stays.

Much to do in between commercial breaks of today's football games.  The Roku rebooted yesterday allowing me to choose a CBS station in Buffalo NY for the Bills game .... again.  
If things hold true with our Roku, then it will be football from 11:30 AM (Bills local TV show), thru the talking heads segment of Noon to 1 and then two games: Buffalo vs Baltimore and Patriots vs. KC.

A good day planned with a few Guinness in a Can.  Might save one or two for a stove.  lol.  Anyone wish to donate a Pepsi can?  
Then again, I can find one easily on the side of the road.  Guinness cans don't appear there, so I'll have to drink those dry. :)
Why those two can types specifically?  They fit "just snuggly" inside one another when made to be just the bottom sections.  
A perfect gas seal for the process of making HEET become heat.
Or pure grain "Everclear" to become heat as will be my desire. Everclear can be used on wounds and drank diluted if need be, a true multi purpose fuel.  Natural Fuel that could be considered illegal.
(Just a little illegal to transport or purchase in some states, like most of the A.T.   Possibly why I was drawn to it.) lol


Enjoy the day!
Moving forward,
~ Kindle.