Sunday, December 29, 2019

Hope Springs Eternal - Books and Memory

Words.  Set# 78 counting down.

(Power) Receiving
verb
gerund or present participle: receiving
  1. 1.
    be given, presented with, or paid (something).

(Force) Grasping
adjective
  1. greedy; avaricious.

**************

While walking the other day, I really listened to the quality of the voices blended (in one microphone) to create this song.  Pure gold.

See the Changes

She has seen me changing
It ain't easy rearranging.
And it gets harder as you get older,
Farther away as you get closer.
And I don't know the answer.
Does it even matter?
I'm wonderin' how.
Ten years singing right out loud
I never looked was anybody listening.
Then I fell out of a cloud
Hit the ground and noticed something missing.
Now I have someone,
She has seen me changing,
And it gets harder as you get older,
(and) Farther away as you get closer.
And I don't know the answer.
Does it even matter?
I'm wonderin' how.
Seems like something out of a dream
I had years ago, yes I remember screaming.
Nobody laughing
All the good times
Getting harder to come by without weeping.
Now I have someone,
She has seen me changing,
And it gets harder as you get older,
and Farther away ........
************
I don't know the answers.  I'm wondering ..... how?
(Oh the cursed "How's") 

I see if I learn this song, possibly the word "how" might fade or change to "now".

*************

Thinking thru the Bounce Box theories and studying boots.

Just trying to corral ALL the spinning plates of thoughts that are needed in planning this journey.  
In a lot of ways, I can see where day to day will dictate the day, & schedules will not stand against even their daily routine with Mother Nature and unknown terrain to me.  
Flexibility should, and most likely will be the normal day.
I do not want to miss being on the trail as I've read many hikers can and have.  Others before me have found out and shared in their journals that in effort to complete the trail, they missed about 60 to 80% of their hike.  It was pre-consumed by planning and executing plans.  The beauty and awe was missed up until their "AH-HA!!!!" moment.


*********
So, bounce boxes and pre-planned mail drops.
Gear swaps from Spring, to Summer, to Fall with snow being reported somewhere on the trail during all three seasons.
Ultra-light gear should allow for a few common sense survival and comfort items.

When to swap out shoes that get from 500 to 1000 miles on them on average.

The bounce box is a way to move my gear to myself as I see fit.  If unopened, it just bounces up the trail to the next section.

I'm thinking of having 13 boxes of stuff pre-prepared.
The same number of Map Sections I have from National Geographic.


Also, I'm doing my best to wrap my head around having my "Zero" days in the woods.  Something I believe I would prefer.

Zero days are days with no hiking just rest.  
The costs of hotels and all is the issue with me and most all of the campsites on the A.T. allow 2 days of camping.
Hassle seen, no 110v AC for charging devices.
I have a Jeep wind up cell phone charger that could be converted to charge a battery pack on rainy days.
I'm also considering a Solar battery pack as well.

Plenty of places near the trail offer free or inexpensive showers and I have a Zodi Shower unit for the woods from WAY back that I use the tree hanging bag as my camp water cache.  


Showers and mail drop pick ups, that is my biggest town draw from this chair right now ... I know the trail and the food cravings will change some of that.


**********
As for Hope,
This time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years), has imprinted in me a type of confusion.

It was not too long ago, I was resting in Hope Lodge with my best friend who was undergoing harsh treatments of Chemo weekly with Radiation Daily.
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. 
The Trifecta as I call it.

We lived through the same time period with others who did not have as good a prognosis of promise and hope as we had been given. 
I was there for support and I tried my best as my mobility and body was not in any shape but pain at the time. 
We also had very limited resources which happens when both cannot work. 
I do not desire anyone to go through that but many do.

What a difference a few years makes but the period and places remain a memory reminder to me at a very deep level.
I do not have to look far to see that others have life handed to them a little or a lot worse that I have experienced.
I'm grateful and thankful I've seen what I've seen and touched what I touched.
It all was necessary to have me arrive safely to today.

Still changing myself one moment at a time.
Rearranging some memory stories to have better endings as they too were all necessary to have me arrive safely to today.

Reading three books right now as each has a different draw for where I'm at in my day of planning, workout, life chores and rest.
Food (Prep, Packaging & Preparing), Specific Trail Logistics and My Mental Release with Relax.

Projects:
00% complete: Tarp Kit to put together for a February Test
50% complete: Quilts of 3 to be created for same Feb test
05% complete: 2 Stove Creations for efficiency tests

I love it when a plan comes together! :)

Enjoy the Day!
Make it all you plan or don't plan to!
~ Kindle