Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Memorization and Damage Control

Words.  Set #96 of 140 counting down.

(Power) Ethical

adjective
  1. relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

(Force) Equivocal
adjective

  1. open to more than one interpretation; ambiguous.


********

Hiking Gear update: (Rip out and sewing).

First I'm working on what will become the Under quilt for my sleep system and has been stitch ripped to have now 13 tubes of fluff.
The tubes are about 2' Long, 4" wide and 3" thick when I have all of fluff at one end of the tubes.  It should fit close to perfect in between my hammock lower layers beneath me.
I'll be adjusting it to fit custom like the shock cord pad that is part of the HH cold weather system. I'll picture it when I have it completed.


I took one Antique White brand Sewing machine that I purchased in July from the Re-Store, removed the hardware and antique electrical components (1940's) and bagged it for scrap and tossed it in the pile where I keep metal outside.  Kept the sewing book as it teaches ALL the techniques for putting clothes together and could become useful if I desire to make pleated curtains for my RV camper in my future.  :)





It had an On/Off knee switch with asbestos wires in the cabinet which can be seen in a pile next to the old beast.
The power wire was an early plastic/vinyl coated wire that had started to crack in all the curved sections where it was wound inside the cabinet.  My guess on it's age: 1940's or 50's by the books with it, a sewing manual copyright date 1947. 
(All was purchased at the ReStore for $25).  


The First Antique served it's purpose, it brings with it a cabinet that will be used with another Sewing Machine Antique.  A Singer Golden Touch 750 which was given to me without it's Cam Kit which then was purchased ($36 eBay).  So my sewing system cost about $71 total in parts, books, time and money invested a while back when I felt like I could hike again and would like to make some gear. 


Now that 1 of the 5 sewing machines in the home are gone, I feel lighter.  My best friend is also teaching herself quilting right now and has 2 machines for her "Specific" needs.  I'm for that.

I'm one for having the right tools for the job.  Her sewing needs are so much different than mine that she requires two different models.
One portable for class and one stationary in her craft area.

We both have dibs on the 5th machine, a 4 thread serger.
I have some need for it's purpose soon.

As for my Antique swap:
I kept the White's sewing cabinet/table and modified it for my antique Singer Golden Touch 750 sewing machine yesterday.  It sits up off the surface (not shown) about 1/8" and would need to be routed and built back up to hold the heavy machine if I want it smooth and flat.
Right now, it's better than being on a kitchen table so I'm good.



The book purchased on eBay will get me to using it correctly with maintenance tips I need to perform.  (@$9.99 I remember)

Removing the stitches in long strings instead of little bits.
Round end vs sharp end pulls the thread out of the tiny loops if the correct side is started on.  Kinda like opening up a bag of dog food one stitch at a time. lol.

Setting up my sewing station to make bags and such as I re-learn to sew SilNylon Ripstop fabric.   It is fickle and it's best that once the machine is set to sew it easier, don't mess with it.  Specific need.

2QZQ contacted me and I'm finalizing cottage customization of my HH Jungle Expedition Asymmetric Zip Hammock.
I'm awaiting the quote and instructions to send off my new HH to their sewing shop in Pennsylvania to have a full length zipper added to the back side of the Mosquito Netting attached presently.
I've tried doing zippers as a kid. I'll let a 30 year professional do it.
Their skill is worth the cost of $55.  I'll get a tree table too. It's a smart choice for my woods life soon to be.

I'll also order from them 2 Pole Pockets ($20) to add to my upcoming Winter Tarp Project.  That will keep the center UP and keep snow or wind dirt from weighing it down. Innovation within the past 10 years.  I again like it for my sleep setup.


Still no word back from my back pack order  .... oh well, I'll figure out it's purchase after all these tarp and sleeping adjustments.
Not that I look forward to sleeping in windy and cold conditions but those things happen in the mountains in the Spring and Late Fall or sometimes in July on Mt.Washington.  lol.  All 3 seasons will be enjoyed and the 4th can appear in these global warming times and I'll enjoy that when it happens too. Survival not surprise.
Be Prepared.  I've heard that saying somewhere in my past. :)



********
Memory Stirs this morning:
2nd Tuesday of the Month - Microsoft forced updates.

Yep, memory is correct - updating my Winders Machines now on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.  lol.

13 years as a tech of thousands of MacroSopht Winders machines kinda sticks with cha.  :)

I honestly took a break from computers for several years recently.
Several year forced break: Money and Internet. 
I picked up and am working from a limping laptop cobbled together from parts on eBay.  The main company, toshiba does not make laptops anymore I'm to understand. Either way it has worked for me and will soon become scrap electronics.

Typing used to be grueling and brutal pain wise.  I've still yet to set up my voice activation stuff though.  I did not want to confuse the "system" before I desire to use it mostly full time in the woods.

Stayed on a Winders 7 machine with Office 2003 as it could barely connect with my tethered iPhone 6.  Had to take it to the Public Library from time to time to update it ifs I managed to get on line for a considerable time with the phone as it would HIGHLY RECOMMEND I update for security reasons.  I could still add and remove orders from my trading accounts but could not really follow them in real time, if there is such a thing as real time in the financial markets.  None the less, I'm closer to being on line more just in time to be on line less.  Go figure.



**********

Finishing up on some brain memory fodder that somehow needs to be written out.  It will take me a few days for sure and is where the idea of inner quick advancement in any vocation resides.
************


Damage Control (DC) or Damage Control Central (DCC)

If one was to watch NCIS of any sort, eventually there will be a scene on a ship and in a hallway a conversation will be had with a painted rectangular yellow placard with stenciled black lettering in the space as EVERY space on a ship is identified with one.
Exact location for Damage Control needs.  It also notates which divisions representative is responsible for the Battle Condition Readiness of that particular space, just in case, lets say, someone pukes on the floor when they return from a joyful experience on land.  Squids (Navy) and Grunts (Jarines) tend to whoop it up when they get the moments to do so.  A ship with 150 crew (when fully manned) and 300 to 450 Marines can get a bit rambunctious at times for sure. Not sure though.  I might not have been there. lol


Every Division owned part or parts of the ship and were responsible down to the pee onn for it's maintenance and well being AT ALL TIMES.  Interesting concept for sure.
I've only watched bits and short segments of a few.  I could care less about the BS that those shows glorify, but it did not take long for me to see a placard and to go though an "instant" memorization of what space they were in.  Not that I even cared to know but I was programmed to "be there" cuz my mind did that for years.
(I stopped watching quickly for self preservation).

With the responsibility comes accountability 24/7/365 while attached to a vessel or USN weapon.  My honeymoon was on the USS Boulder, LST-1190 now in prep in Philadelphia, PA awaiting to become razor blades.  In her name and number, one link is Wikipedia an the other the USN if you care to investigate the links.

I was there from '78 to '82 and much of what She went through is not listed for very good reasons.  Blasting test drones for Jet Fighter live shot tests in the Atlantic from her helo flight deck comes to mind.  We were not there I was told.  ;)


I've been to 2 Mediterranean events, 1 North Atlantic Adventure, the Panama Canals both ends, Several Caribbean, Bermuda and Puerto Rico visits ... not to mention picking up troops each trip in Morehead City, NC.  I was not there either I was told.  No medals or awards come from not being there but it still was fun.  Training and Support.  It really was fun, sometimes.  A ship full of dropouts and flunkies working together in unison to perform "Mission Critical" operations as we were told to.

And that is where my next "Old Man of the Sea" story begins. 
Up to (maybe beyond) and incurring my last 45 day restriction to the USS Boulder LST-1190 in shipyard repair and getting ready for sea trials, re-fresher training and shakedown on it's way to Puerto Rico for GitMo Fun Times.
I "Got Caught" for taking beer "off of" a navel vessel.  It was funny to a lot of people UP the chain of command including the C.O. who was out somewhere else that day and week.
He was the one who told me at the previous Captains Mast that his hands were now tied.  IF the name Tokarczyk was to appear before him, he would have to "pen stroke" me out of the USN.


Well, the day did fall on record, the name Tokarczyk did appear on his mast docket one more time and he did pen stoke me BUT for some reason, possibly ALL UNIVERSAL in nature happened, I "got to" remain AND the 5th never happened and I can only guess because I must not have been there.  Just like all the other stories that will never appear in it's timeline, online.
I understand the place of Congress in the Chain of Command.
It was part of my UCMJ study.

More to follow ...

"The floggins will end when moral picks up."  Is so true.

~Kindle

USS BOULDER (LST-1190 ) - a Newport class tank landing ship
In Commission 1971 to 1994

LST-1190 DEPLOYMENTS - MAJOR EVENTS



MonthYeartoMonthYearDeployment / Event
SEP1969-Keel Date: 6 SEP 1969
at National Steel and Shipbuilding Company
NOV1969-Shellback Initiation - 11 NOV 1969 - Pacific Ocean
APR1970-Launch Date: 22 APR 1970
JUN1971-Commissioned: 4 JUN 1971
JUL1971-Shellback Initiation - 1 JUL 1971 - Pacific Ocean
JUL1971-Shellback Initiation - 10 JUL 1971 - Pacific Ocean
JUL1971-Shellback Initiation - 16 JUL 1971 - Pacific Ocean
JUL1971-Shellback Initiation - 1 JUL 1971 - Pacific Ocean
JUL1971-SEP1971Guantanamo Bay
JUL1971-JUL1971Panama Canal
JAN1972-FEB1972phila navy yard
APR1972-APR1972Caribbean
AUG1972-JAN1973Mediterranean
AUG1973-NOV1973Mediterranean
AUG1974-FEB1975Egypt Reopening of Suez Canal - Operation Nimbus Moon
DEC1974-Shellback Initiation - 12 DEC 1974 - Atlantic Ocean
JAN1978-JAN1978Mediterranean
MAY1980-JUN1980Mariel Boat lift
AUG1980-DEC1980TEAMWORK 80 nato
JUN1982-AUG1982Northern Wedding
NOV1986-Shellback Initiation - 8 NOV 1986 - Atlantic Ocean
MAY1989-AUG1989Great Lakes
JUN1992-AUG1992Great Lakes
FEB1994-Decommissioned: 28 FEB 1994