Sunday, November 17, 2019

What does not kill you makes you stronger ... except bear. Bear will kill you.

Words.
(Power) Conscious
adjective
  1. aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake.

(Force) Unaware
adjective

  1. having no knowledge of a situation or fact.


*********

Sunday is rest day.  That is to mean, Zero walking on the treadmill.
I am feeling the 5 miles.  That is a good thing.


Sunday is also NFL Football.
Roku is still picking a different and then similar but changed CBS stations each time we tune it in. 
Not sure if I'll see the Bills or LA Chargers at this point as we've been selected to view CBS on the East Coast states, Mid-Central states, Mississippi but mostly Louisville, KY and Washington DC.

Hiking: 

I was in a craft store the other day and noticed a whole series of prints, posters, wood craft, signs and what not.
Most had the same saying on them:




Which was an excellent segway to write about my Bear Container and Bear Bags.

Of all the hiking gear that I kept, 3 are Bear Resistant and Proof.

I'm selective presently as I like how both have their Pros.
I'm not exclusively set on which I'll use primarily.


It honestly will depend upon the rules of the A.T. next year.
If I need to use the Vault on any section, I'll use it on the entire trail.

One if not both Ursack will have use too. 
When first leaving town and I am over purchased with stuffs or for when I need to have 7-10 days worth of goods for distances.

Being in the Bears
 back yard takes a daily reminder that smells carry and smells remain.  Keeping my food mine is survival.


(2) Ursack and (1) Bear Vault with OPSak Liner Bags and the basics for hanging other types of bags in the woods.
Ursack is particular in how they tie to a tree.  

The Vault BV500 is different as it lays on the ground and generally on it's lid unless it is being used as a seat or table.

I'm not looking to "see" bear.  If it happens, as it has in my past, I'll accept it as a wildlife viewing and Indian Spirit Guide message.


Black and Brown bear tend to be more fearful of humans as they are hunted but the Griz is a special breed.
The IGBC has guidelines for Grizzly for future National Park Trips too. 
Like electricity, I am not fearful to be near it, I have respect for what it can do if I get too close unprotected.


To any of you who follow Native Indian Animal Spirit type teachings, I've found that the Red Tail Hawk is my totem so any viewings I receive from others that appear are messengers. 

Info that can easily be found on line but I cannot say it is valid,  Just info:

"If you aren't sure what a totem animal is, think of it as a spirit being that is a sacred object or a symbol of a person. In other words, it is a spiritual animal that has your back. Native Americans believe that different totem animals accompany you through life, acting as guides, and helping you achieve your goals and ward off all the bad stuff that is out there. They say that they stay with you for life, both in the physical and spiritual world. Come on, how cool is that?" 


Yep, a belief. 
My learning of this did not come from a quiz on the internet.
I was told this by those whom I trust in this area as I am not Native American nor practice to be.  
I just have friends in places of position within their tribes.

High Friends in Places. lol.

********


Enjoy your rest day which ever one you choose and as often as you choose to rest. 

I'm considering daily naps in the woods and since my hammock system can be set up in a few moments to use as a lounge chair every break I take, rest is something I am building into my days going into this.  Routines can adapt in some form from home to woods.

Near-o's and Zero's are hiking terms for rest.  Usually involving a town or city and options.  I might opt to carry an extra few days of food to avoid some needless stops as towns and cities can be on average 7 to 21 miles away. Glad I started my planning early.
I might take a nap before the game today....

Moving forward ....  Trying to keep it simple.


~ Kindle