Sunday, November 24, 2019

Don't Surround yourself with yourself - Move on back two squares

Words. (#113 counting down)
(Power) Natural

adjective

  1. 1.
    existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

(Force) Artificial
adjective
  1. 1.
    made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural.


**********
Today there are two 4:20's just like every day.
Difference?  
I'll be up for both as my body decided to wake me up early today.  
Pain is pain.  
We each have ours that sometimes control us.
Mine is mostly a pain in the neck.

***********

I'm thankful for the assistance for this trip so far.

As I continue to crunch figures on a spreadsheet, the repetition of being up and down the trail is making it seem too easy to travel.

I'm awaiting for the topo maps to arrive so that I can start charting my adventure against the terrain.  
To work out some of the daily disparity, I was tossed up between the A.T.'s box of maps for the entire trail or to just use what National Geographic made for their recent filming of the A.T.
I decided on the Nat Geo as it is water proof and cheaper in price.
That is the tactical map for each "next" day's adventure planning.

The AT Guide (paper) I have is nice and is designed to be used as emergency fuel or lunch and dinner fire starters after I've completed it's pages. 
It's 13 miniature waterproof profile maps will be used as my on the go, fits in my pocket, while walking guide.

As for the A.T.'s FULL BOX of data? It is older and dated as 2009.

Back to the pre-hike preparation:

With that thinking of it being too easy on paper & I'm now at 5 miles on the treadmill daily, I believe it's time to shake things up.
The work is just time spent with a little inconvenience of moving in one place.  I feel good enough to push a little more.

So, I decided that this coming week I'll do 6 miles each day.
The week after 8 miles each day. 
This will allow me to both see and feel how I need to adjust because the fun will soon begin.  Soon is 5 months.

Might as well see what it might feel like to have each day be different than the next for distances and rest days.

Since I've charted out my first 30 days on the trail, (Walking days, Zero Days, Resupply Days, Distances between sleeping, etc.) I might as well use the data by merging it into my training.

Well, many "Experts" recommend only hiking 8 miles per day the first 2 to 3 weeks then begin to open up the miles as the body should be better accustomed to hiking by then.
Where I am starting on the trail is usually where most that hike it are reaching 20 mile days. 
The "others" recommended stops on their spreadsheets did not work out for my 8 mile a day start.  So, I had to come up with MY method.

Seems I start out going about 8 miles a day average for the first 5 days then take a zero.
Next 6 days are about the same with then another zero.
By the third week, I'm at 7 to 8 days straight before another zero.
That works into being how it will continue after that, 7 to 10 days before taking a Zero and working into the 12 to 15 mile a day range.

The mileages vary each day SO I'll mimic the distances on the treadmill in like a 30 day chunk.
Looking at my time calendar, I can mimic my starting month
4 (Four) times before I have to do my final preps to be on the trail.
In all honesty, even doing the mimic 3 times would be a nice intro to the trail and how my body might feel each night the first month.

What does that do for me?  
* Helps me loose my pack weight.
* Safely alters my walking day to allow me to adjust to a new upcoming life.
* Gives me a heads up as to how my feet are toughing up with a safe/clean location to care for my feet properly each day.
* I will begin collecting my mental base data of distance/time street walking information so I can easily know how much time it will take me to walk to a town on a road.

What it does not do for me is:
* give me a realistic stair climb up and down a mountain.

For that, I'll have to train as I go along like every other hiker, letting the trail break me in to it's flow.  My plans can and most likely will change.
Don't get me wrong, I'll have stair stepping muscles, just not uneven height, loose traction, stair stepping muscles.

************
Today's personal lesson which was the title today:
Don't surround yourself with yourself.
Been listening to two different versions of "Your Move" from the originators "Yes" (9:09 min acoustic/full orchestra version) and I stumbled on "Heart" (3:14 min acoustic/band version) AWESOME!

I like how Heart brings better notice to on how "Give Peace A Chance" was written into the ending of the first movement of the work as it was intended.


I've been seeking different songs to work on as I gain dexterity in my finger digits.  I'm on my second year of having full feeling (most times) in my hands and arms now. This song will be one for my list. 
Hand cramps are less now than before so it's time to tune the guitar.
Lyrics can be found HERE if interested.

The song itself has influenced me all along my life from my teens.
I liked the tune.  The words were about playing chess and I did not put the songs meaning together until recently as to a better way to live life on this planet.  All we are saying, is give Peace a Chance.

I always wondered what the words meant.  Without the album sleeve back then, lyrics were what we understood to have heard.
In my case, I've heard some and remembered some wrong words.
(move on back to squares vs. move on back two squares.)

With google, fixing my memory with correct lyrics has been a blessing.   I now have a much better understanding of the song too.

With a reset throat, my voice feels better than it has the past two decades.  Time to open up the pipes a few times a week as I found my cache of vocal coaching videos, DVD's, books and CD's to follow.

Proper breathing and posture exercises and reminders will help me more than just letting my awakened spine figure out it's own posture for the rest of my existence on this planet.  The better lung work will aid in my hiking and recovery with life.

Moving forward one square, after moving back two squares into the protection of those who love and support me.

~ Kindle