Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Gear Spreadsheet started to look like the game board "SORRY!" :) lol

Words:
(Power) Principled

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a person or their behavior) acting in accordance with morality and showing recognition of right and wrong.

(Force) Expedient

adjective
      
      1.  (of an action) convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral.


Jimmy Stewart was a great actor.
An early and learning role for him was: 

(Mr. Smith Goes to Washington)

Kinda reminds me of a story ... one that is still being relived with a modern twist as to why a business man should not be running the country. 

Hindsight 2020 Hike:  if America knew what would happen in 1939 and made movies about it, I guess the generation that wanted the movie to come true made it so. Law of Attraction in action.

Yep, It's a wonderful life.
Like another Jimmy character, I'm finding Zu Zu's petals in my watch pocket and my lip is still bleeding.  Now would ja look at that Burt!  :)



********
Hiking Updates:  I've principled myself to expedite the process.

I figured out a way to combine the 12, 15 and 18 mile day charts provided free from theatguide.com.

Somewhere at that site they offered a NOBO version of 12, 15 and 18 mile day spreadsheets that others have posted from back on 2007 or 2011.  What I found most interesting was the stealth campsites, hostels and Hotels used by the 3 different hikers.

So, when complete it will be a flowing hike and I'll share the SOBO and NOBO and Section versions that can be easily created from the data I've compiled. 

Since it is being "fine tooth combed" and compared.
"i's" are being crossed and "t's" dotted as they should be.

I'll then share it open source cuz it only goes from sleep area to sleep area.  (Still in construction right now).

Filled with options, it now allows me to change up the pace at any and every night fall or day break.
Not rigid in most cases. 
It will allow for more moments of sauntering.

Also, Gear I'm watching for EOY sales: (prices are today 11/13/19)

Luxury Lite Backpack with Frontpack  (now a NeoTrekk Stack pak) @$400 with customization. @3#

Luxury Lite Big Stick with Texas Toothpick (if allowed)
Christmas sale now: $199.95
"Walk Softly and carry a BIG STICK" :)  ~ Kindle

Luxury Lite review

Explorer Ultralight XL $259.95
(#250 wt limit to hold me and gear)

  • Packed Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz / 1008 g not including free 3 oz / 84 g webbing straps
  • Packed Size: 4" x 8" x 10" / 10 cm x 20 cm x 25 cm
Swap out its tarp for a Monsoon Rainfly $79.95
(70D or 30D undesided)

  • Weight: 21 oz / 610 g
  • Packed Size: 6" x 10" 15cm x 25cm
4 Season Super Shelter kit $149.95

  • Weight: 26 oz / 680 g
  • Packed Size: 5" diam x 15"
and most likely a Over Cover for very cold. $39.95
  • Packed Weight: 4.5 oz. / 128 g
  • Packed Size: 2.5" diam. x 5" long

Vargo Titanium Stakes  $21.95 pack of 6

  • Weight:    (8 grams)          (165 x 3.5 mm)
  • Size:         0.3 ounces        6.5"L x 0.14"D
Evernew Kitchen   $154.95

  • Weight: Whole Kitchen weighs only 5.7oz / 160g !!


(Still undecided concerning sleeping and weather condition planing and the use of a 4 season super shelter or just a JRB under quilt - or homemade) 

JRB under is about $225 and the over quilt with foot pocket is about the same in price.  The over quilt link takes you to JRB's full line of custom down feather quilts.  Or they offer for $589.38 to $616.38  a 3 quilt system to cover all sleeping conditions.
(About $200 for the Hennessy system and $600 for down feather)


4 season system: 
Packed Weight: 26 oz / 680 g
Packed Size: 5" diam x 15"   4.5 oz. / 128 g

OverCover 
Packed Weight: 4.5 oz. / 128 g
Packed Size: 2.5" diam. x 5" long

JRB 3 quilt system sale
Over $600 in the cart and many of my choices were (sold out).
4 season system (although it can be noisy) might win out 

OR
I'll sew my own quilts (and I'll have to start soon).
Weight?  Wait.  Too much to research still

This quick calculation is almost screaming SORRY! no can do.

My sponsor(s) assure me that if the purchase is valid then documentation helps to justify the advance.  
Thank you again PACZ.ninja,
More research before Thanksgiving.


"the Walking Man" just walks on by.
Still deciding on link names for some pages being developed.
As agreed: I'll create the base HTML landing page for quick links before Thanksgiving's Bills vs. Dallas game at 4 PM.



********

As I have always been able to see, Hiking Light is heavy on the wallet.  Even keeping the gear I had from 10 years back is outdated and much too heavy for my disabled body.  
This Pack/Sleep/Cook setup is about $2000 in price for only 8.5# on my body frame and back, base weight.  Maybe 10# with full winter setup and quilts.
A fair trade.

Purchasing everything at once, during a sale and in bulk can produce additional savings. 

Just the Hammock/4 season/Monsoon/Camp Cook Set $706.70
JRB  (4 season swap out: -$190 from the Hammock system) @$600 added.  ($410 difference)

Backpack and Big Stick @$600 too.

Shelter/Warmth/Cooking/Protection/Spine Care: @ $2000
And I've still clothing and layer systems to consider.
Shoes and Socks
Navigation and Tronics.
Food and water filtration
Trying to keep this ever growing  Expensive Athletic Adventure within my grant allowance.

I've only purchased the pre sale of the 2020 data for the trip.
Everything else has it's place by priority: weight, price, sale.

I'll Update final total when final gear arrives with pictures.
Those updates will be on that day it happens.


~ Kindle