Monday, November 11, 2019

OK Boomer? A wonderful Veterans Day to you too! :)

Battles. Choice.
Entry. Choice.
Restraint and Refrain = Choices too.

I was ambitious in my service.

As for hiking, waiting on the new data for 2020.
Since much will not be different, I'll continue with what I have.
Crunching lines of data till my eyes burn.  Just a season.

*********
Word.
(Power) Serving

noun
  1. a quantity of food suitable for or served to one person.

(Force) Ambitious
adjective
  1. having or showing a strong desire and determination to succeed.


**********
 N-SSA Winchester Virginia National Range
1976  (Purchased a Type-o Patch I just noticed) lol
2:02 AM Veterans Day
Homeland Security Time Line: Fighting terrorism since 1492
The patch above is from 1976, our bicentennial year.
Here are some other Smoke Filled Range Pictures.
**********
I'm awake and now thinking about the first veteran I met:
My Dad.

USS Midway CV-41 his only ship became a museum.

I've uncles and cousins, in-laws and out-laws that have all served in the military.
But my dad was the first I admired for his service.

When the time came, quitting college and joining the service made sense for me.  I felt like it was part of becoming an American.

*******

One of the ships I served on was slated for museum status (USS Kitty Hawk) but I think all that I served aboard have become razor blades.

I stand corrected: the Neversail was just refurbished. lol

USS Neversail
(Boot Camp Training Vessels - Enclosed compartment fires on others too)
A plaque notes its history as the only commissioned ship in the Navy that never touched water. 


USS Boulder LST-1190 

Couple of Med Cruises, a North Atlantic, Several Caribbean and 1 Panama Canal through  and back. Many days sitting at sea & anchor detail in the Chesapeake Bay during storms.
Most times: Starboard After Steering Electrician and I finally advanced to Lead Electrician in Main Control.  In charge of the entire power plant. I love moving trons.
(Including Newport Overhaul and Shakedown & Home Port Relocation to Brooklyn)

USS Richlands AFDM-8 


(Floating Dry Dock Support for Maritime Vessels - time includes the Yokosuka Overhaul)

USS Sustain AFDM-7 SRA support.

    (Continuing floating dry dock support for others overhauls)

14 Weeks Navy C-7 school.
(I mention it because it added 14 months to my Navy Time Served, like a cruise would)

7 weeks * Advanced Troubleshooting

3 weeks * Catapult, Arresting Gear, Visual Landing Aids, 400Hz Helo Starters.
4 weeks * Management Analysis


USS KittyHawk CVA-63
(Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Dry Dock - Overhaul)

Shipboard Elevator Electronic/Electrical System Maintenance Technician tests inspects and performs organizational level maintenance on shipboard weapons and cargo handling elevators on a system and component level. Troubleshoots and repairs electronic/electrical systems and equipment, such as controllers, sensors, switches, and the electrical components of hydraulic/mechanical interfaces. Coordinates efforts with operators and maintainers of other ratings using or servicing the systems.


cross trained
Steam Catapult Electrician performs organizational level maintenance on catapult and arresting gear systems, including synchros, repeaters, 110/220/440V electrical systems, contacts, relays, micro switches, series and parallel switches, pressure and temperature sensing switches, torque and gear limit switches, chronograph, and control console electrical functions. Reads and interprets electrical/mechanical drawings.

Skills I left the USN with at the Bachelors and Masters Levels:
Electric Power Technology
Electronic Engineering
Power Plant Technology


Moved forward into the NYS Power Grid.  Seemed logical at the time.  Chasing Lightning.
More on all that later I believe.




Many of the reasons I desire to hike, service time remembered.  Too many things committed to memory.
Bad to terrible, partly cloudy but mostly good, sometimes even INCREDIBLE!
Interesting times for sure.


As for people: for each one is a prayer from my heart today.

************
Veterans day.  I salute all who have served.
Including Police, EMT, Firefighters, Detention, School monitors, Teachers, Nurse, Doctor, on and on and on.

If still alive and living from Sunrise to Sunset today:

"May the road rise to meet you, and the wind always be at your back. and the rains fall softly on your fields. May God hold you gently in the palm of his hand."

And a less reverend one...    "May you be in Heaven, a full half hour before the devil knows you are dead!"

If passed on, I can only share what we placed on the back of my Dad's remembrance card:
Thank you ALL for your service.
~ Kindle.