Thursday, November 14, 2019

Livermore, being labeled Short and D.O.O.P.U.

Words.
(Power) Brilliant

adjective
  1. 1.
    exceptionally clever or talented.

(Force) Clever
adjective

  1. quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; 
    showing intelligence or skill; ingenious.

Hiking housekeeping: 

Gear sales, new and used.  

3 or ??? things purchased so far to help me where I am at presently.
Socks!  Too many brands to choose from. I'll get one pair the day I test the shoes in the store and then do more research on socks.


As for the replacement pairs of shoes, hopefully Keen will be on sale at Dicks or National Warehouse 
before Christmas.
(I think that's it's name of the store that sells work wear for construction). 

Either way, I'll get 3 pair of the same shoe or different on sale. 
Start breaking them in.  Hope to get 700 to 1000 miles out of each.
Rocks of Pennsylvania to begin.
Marshes of the North East next.
Mud and Clay of the South to finish.


I just started looking over the "used" or "slightly used" gear sales on the forums.  What I'm looking for is cottage industry gear for the most part.  A lot of these companies have stood the test of time for me (over a decade of waiting) so that helps too.

Recovery for me has been slow.  Years slow.
Today I did 60 crunches and 40 modified push ups.
I'll get to planks before April, that is, if my upper back, ribs and neck agree.  Seen my Dr. of Chiropractic yesterday. 

She helps me keep my head on straight and the pain is now gone from the slight 3 day migraine and my upper rib cage is allowing me to breathe without discomfort now that the "T" area got set in 3 places.

Not sure if I mentioned it but I lately realized that "Most Everyday" is going to be the normal on the trail.  Walking most everyday.
Stretching most everyday.  Crunches and push ups most everyday.

Right now I'm doing mat work 5 days a week and walking an average of 3.5 miles 5 days as well on a flat treadmill while reading, writing, dreaming and viewing nature out the back window.  Possibly a deer will arrive this winter to eat on the molasses block we provided yesterday for the possum and squirrel.

I aspire to be at 8 to 10 miles a day, 6 days a week before I begin the trail in March or April.
Yes, starting dates can change and might now that more people are affected by my timeline.  Team PACZ.ninja lol.

Got a name for a local person who embroiders out of their cottage industry home.  Since some of my patch work that I desire to display on my pack is personal, a local skilled crafts person is a nice fit for my endeavor.  Then again, I can have custom patches made anywhere online as well.  Design at the kitchen table, pay, it shows up at home eventually.  Pondering this ...

Well back to my story(s):  out the window from the treadmill will soon have a sign posted that reads: 
"Any and all deer found messing with the possum and squirrel mineral block will be shot!"
Gotta keep it legal you know. ;)     
It's hunting season and I'm just watching the ones passing by.
Maybe we can get one to hang around a bit till it's bigger next year.
Maybe.
The deer down here are smart enough to only cross at the deer crossing signs too. lol

********
For all who care to read below, this one is lengthy from my title:
Livermore, being labeled Short and D.O.O.P.U.

Bootcamp: USS Neversail brought up a San Diego, 1979 memory.
Also, wearing my David Cassidy like Puka Shell Choker lately that I purchased in some surf shop at the shore in Cali.

The necklace lies directly over the area I've had dislocated for 22 years. It's a comforting feel for me right now.  It keeps me mindful of my neck position during the day and pain has diminished some.
Also, I can and have begun doing modified Push Ups.  Only I can do mine and that is the giggle for me in this story.

While in Boot Camp, I got singled out as being short.
Not the shortest mind you but at 5'9" (ok, 8.75") but shorter than the rest of the division.  6'+ was average. 
My Dad was 6'2", I've looked up to that level a many a time.

Short guys got to be flag bearers in our Division.  The more flags we acquired weekly, the next taller shortest would be "Promoted".

Like I said, I was not the shortest.  Third or 4th shortest.
The shortest: that honor belonged to a set of twins that joined the Navy together.  The Banks Bro's.  Our first 2 flag bearers.

Through the course of "togetherness training" some of us got to be flag bearers.  It held it's own special sets of training with poles and flags that get wet and heavy in the rain. It had some perks.
Push ups?  I'm not sure how we did those but I remember doing make up ones in the barracks with Livermore and the Banks Bro's.

Livermore. A push up machine.  Lived for doing them often.
He confessed that early on in our "togetherness training" group sessions outdoors, he would purposely "mess up" so that we all got to do push ups "together".  His quota for the day was low.
We thanked him for "helping us" learn how to do push ups correctly as a group BUT he was more than welcome to join us in the make up for the times the flag bearers could not do the group push ups.  Please, Livermore, let us do our own push ups?

So he did.   Our Division got better grades and we all did our own push ups for when we messed up.

Each evening, those in the Div that desired to do more could join us. Also, each evening the Banks bros got to both ride on Livermores back until he could no longer do a push up.
He was a mountain when he left boot camp.
Went to sleep each night a happy man. Push up wore out.

So the lesson I learned that day, no one can do your push ups for you.  Some can affect how many you do at times though.

D.O.O.P.U.  my reminder that only I can do my push ups.

Here's a snipet from the Nav web site about the flags:
During their first week divisions, each having an average of 88 recruits, enter into the competitive aspects of training. Divisions performing above standard throughout the eight weeks of boot camp are awarded recognition flags in four mission areas: academic achievement, weapons and military drill, compartment readiness and physical fitness.

These flags are carried as a visible symbol of the division's performance and success. Each flag indicates that recruits individually and as teams met established standards in mission area events. Competition encourages teamwork, attention to detail and develops pride in achievement.

"The more flags a division carries, the more they unite together to achieve the highest success they possibly can during boot camp," said Aviation Electrician's Mate 1st Class Kyla Richardson, leading petty officer, Fleet Quality Assurance. "It's now a group effort, and every RDC in that group has to work together so the training group can succeed."

Additionally, recognition for the top scoring division is honored by that division receiving the gold pennant and the runner-up division receiving the blue pennant. The hall of fame (HOF) and Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) flags are no longer pertinent in the total team revision of the competitive system.

Another flag a division can earn is the Captain's Cup flag.

Captain's Cup is a fun, friendly, athletic event held prior to graduation. Events include activities such as basketball, volleyball and relay races. One division from the integrated and one from the non-integrated divisions will emerge as the top scorers and earn a competitive flag as well as a traveling trophy to display in their ships.

The final award a division can earn is the pennant for earning the highest score during Battle Stations-21, the capstone event that culminates the eight weeks of boot camp training. Each recruit must complete 17 scenarios during a 12-hour, overnight period. The scenarios encompass all training learned during boot camp from firefighting to preventing and stopping flooding in a ship compartment. There are also casualty evacuations, watch standing, loading and unloading supplies and line handling.

The divisions carry all the flags they have earned as they proudly march into Midway Ceremonial Drill Hall on graduation morning to be recognized for their efforts.

"The divisions' parents will see all these flags which will mean their recruits worked very hard together as a group, which is the whole purpose of boot camp--to teach them how to work together as a team," said Richardson.

~ Kindle