Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Medicinal Plants and Herbs of Eastern and Central US - Survival

Words:
(Power) Educating
verb
gerund or present participle: educating

  1. give intellectual, moral, and social instruction to (someone, especially a child), typically at a school or university.

(Force) Persuading
verb
gerund or present participle: persuading

  1. cause (someone) to do something through reasoning or argument.


********
Hiking:
Still working out miles and data from the spreadsheets.
Picking stops and replenish points. 


The "others" that created their replenish points on the original spreadsheet make it a nice puzzle to figure. 

Sometimes replenish happens along the path or at the end/beginning of a day "or" has to be arranged by shuttle and/or trail angel assistance.

Hitchhiking is prohibited in many areas and each must carefully consider their situation in those moments.   Safety first.

**********

Educating myself on the Medicinal Plants and Herbs of Eastern and Central U.S. and the Edible Wild Plants too.

As I saunter through the woods, Walking Thru Forests, I will be mindful of edible plants.  I'll also be mindful to only take my share.


Side note:
Something will come out of this brainstorm phrase

(The PACZ.ninja, Walking Man, WTF, Kindle McGuinness - Highlander, Hindsight 2020, Tax day to Election Journey.)

Back to the woods:
I know I'll have Wild Carrot for sure and a good chance for some cat tail root.  Mint for my teas. 
Just re-activating a portion of my brain that has kept data I've not used in quite some time.  

Cat Tails reminded me of Frog Leg Feasts of camping day's past.

Scouting with it's weeks of study and weeks of application.
I was working on and almost completed "Life" but completing Life did not sound appealing.  lol
Actually the troop folded before I could advance.

Star was OK, Life in progress was "As Is" and Eagle was out of reach.

One thing I learned-
Wilderness Survival Merit Badge
In searching this text I found it to include the Survival Kit List

I know I'll pare it down to what I will essentially need.
Being Prepared has different levels within my thought process.


I was joking the other day that if I just followed the oath and laws, I would be a better citizen.

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
The laws start with Trustworthy and end with Reverent.

Scout Oath & Laws can be found HERE if you care to view:

I'll also admit that in my life, by following the regulations in Scouts, it sure made advancing in the military much easier. 
Very similar structure.  Guidelines to success.
I also noticed why I take pride in my trail name Kindle.
Wilderness Survival Badge Requirement #6:
Using three different methods (other than matches), build and light three fires.  

In varying environmental conditions too.  My counselors made it tough for good reason, Mother Nature is tough.  :)

Pre-Hike Workout:
(This morning)

60 crunches were easy so I pushed to 75 and then labored into 100.
About #82, my neck/shoulders/throat/collar/traps all were on pain notice.  I found the weak muscles I need to work on now.
Felt each and every one of them starting to scream.
A couple of deep clicks and snaps were heard as well. 
Just my "Newest" normal morning, lol.

The circular "soft" area where the neck and shoulders meet just above the lung cage.   22 years of being out of place has done it's negative work in that area.  I now have a focal point to personally research online.   I need my shoulders and that area for my pack.
I trust the counter balance and light weight of the NeoTrekk pack will be my best choice to keep me happier and in less pain.

Lower Pelvic and Hip areas (and tail bone) had some snap, crackle and pop going on this morning.  Not sure if it was helpful or hurtful at this moment.  The day will reveal its intention.


(Last night)

Did 5 miles in 1 hr 26 min while watching the indicator screen.
Very boring but very informative.
I will keep at 5 miles each day for 6 days this week.
This was day 1 of this 5 mi/day adventure ... this is only a test. lol

Paid close attention to my target heart rate and kept it between 60 and 80% for most of the walk.  As my body adapted, I upped the speed and tested the pulse.  
Felt good.  Especially after the other day's events.

I can "feel" my heart and body responding.  If my pulse was high, I could continue at the same speed, take a few deep breaths and relax in the motion. My pulse would lower and maintain at my target rate.  It was a nice test.   I can comfortably walk between 3.5 & 3.8.


I jumped it up to 4.5 for the last tenth of a mile and then did my cool down stretches.  BP closed out at 118/69   Pulse 57.

  
***********
MRI and Brain Scans (VA Care)
Monday:
Had my 2nd MRI of the Head/Brain/Neck but with a dye this time.
45 min of thump, thump, thump, thump - Buzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot - thump, thump, thump.


I know they are looking for cancer.  The stuff they injected me with is the same stuff Penny Grateful has been zoomed with in her system just mine was a much lesser dose. 
Blood System in brain vs. Lymph System checks.


I was under a little anxiety as it was a last second decision. 
I was not made aware that dye was going to be used and injected in me for this process, up to the point of initialing the form just before donning the enormous gown of open backside.
I guess my care giver forgot to talk to me about the process before.

At least CNN/Fox/CBS/ABC/NBC was not on the TV in the waiting room.  Pawn Stars was.  Chumley cracks me up.
I'm thankful. 


So, being raised up, oh so close to poor .... I went to the poor mans University - USN.   I now get the University Medical Study Care for my service.  I landed in a good spot for this. 
UK (Wildcats) get good grants from DC with Bethesda M.D.'s visits for studies from time to time.  Lots of Bourbon money in this area too.


When I found my self in continual "life ditch" situation(s) financially .... I had little choice but to work from the job skills I knew what I could do and then for my medical care, medically become a study.  Everything is a paper or a study with the VA.  
I'll play along and document the fun until I become a Happy Tax Payer again and get on my own self Health Care Rider Plan.
Still too far of a dream at this time to consider it's thought into creation but I'm giving it a little thought push forward for it's eventual existence into my lives time continuum. 

Moving Forward with a spring in my step and joy in my heart.
Time to do today's 5 miles - 2 days in a row and see how I feel tomorrow. Keeping the hot spots at bay.

~ Kindle