Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Razor blades and beards - transitions - Socks and Buff or no Buff?

Words for today:
(Power) Just

  1. adjective
    1. based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair.

(Force) Punitive
adjective
  1. inflicting or intended as punishment.

Power Quote for these and all times: 
"Things don't 'Just Happen'.  Things 'Happen Just'."
~ Jim Rohn

**********

Hiking Gear:
Socks & Buff


The Smartwool socks were worth every cent.
I will wash them each day and air dry them for the next.
Getting two more pair on Friday to ease the wash duty.

The Field and Stream hike socks I have found will be more suited for lawn cardio and lumber jacking.  Lounging around the home.

A decent work sock for part time work.
Although they wicked, they heated up.  I had a few hot spots but the same as yesterday so I'm going to say that my gait and my shoes are causing the hot spots.  No blisters or red areas just increased warmth in my heel area.  Medium weight is soft enough but maintains enough cushion to keep feet content.

I walked in the Smartwool after a hand washing.
They performed well.  I'll use our "Hand Wash" cycle on the LG for the most part until I leave in April.
I can see that daily inside inspections of my socks will be important.  Strings, bands that unravel, sewing edging left over, toe jam.


I've just found this site for complete foot care in the field: 
How to care for hiking feet

I also tested my old Buff that I got from HammockForums.net

The Buff actually heated up my head more than the Tractor Supply Large Bandanna
I can see that I'll soon own a wicking bandanna instead.

Endurance Training under gear I guess will be my next search. With the increased mileage now, undergarments are presenting themselves to be the next clothing to be considered for purchase. I'm tossed up between Under Armor and Duluth. 
Got to stay dry unless I want chaffing.  Not sure anyone wants that.
TMI? We each need to consider all clothing choices, brand and Why.


Hiking training yesterday:  Feet and Body Test 


Started on the ERG and rowed for one Pandora Song.

Within 3 strokes, my left knee had a tendon snap loudly.
It was a little painful for a bit but it worked out.
Walking really helped today with the left knee then. 
I guess my body is adjusting to it's new lifestyle as I slowly begin using the equipment I have to get my body into hiking shape.


I've even a Chuck Norris Total Gym available ... my body is not there yet.  Pushing the Earth Down is a future desire but for now I'll stay with my mat work until some more tone is seen by me.


Also, started testing some macrobiotic and light meal options.
Mixed Ramen noodles with Miso pastes and dried macro veggies and fish. 

T
here's a 3 oz difference between the dried Ramen and the wet noodle packages.  The taste was different but still good.
Minus the bowl and label packaging, the whole meal is about 6 oz.

So a meal at 3 oz if I substitute the wet noodles with Ramen of any kind as I most likely will avoid the added flavor and salt packet. 
I'll most likely repack the noodles in zip locks and only keep one or two flavor packets for cup of soup evenings when I need the salt.


Transition from sick and tired to healthy and tired.
I'll have to be sure my stock of this type of food is available on the trail.  If not, Amazon or Vitacost will have to be the source at points along the trail.

Micro and Macro care of my cells while hiking.
That is another day's subject and most likely will be my first YouTube.  Another transition, stills to motion, the story of my life.


I had to think of Naval Transitions I've been a part of:
Fat to Fit
Men & Women Equal
Peace to War Ready

Before those were:
Milk Man Uniforms to Cracker Jacks
Beards to no Beards

Each transition had it's backlash.  A Decade reveals much.
Just like the Decades that have passed since I first heard of this Appalachian Trail and it's magic.

I continue.
I am transitioning into my Older Self.
It's my option and totally my obligation to do so.

Gonna happen either way as TIME (and God for that matter) is no respecter of persons.
It is the same 24/7 for all of us.  A bank account of sorts as Chris Rice sings in his song "Life Means So Much". 
Our legacy is the 'dash' in between the dates on our tombstone or obit.  Chris mentions this in his lyrics: 



Every day is a bank account
And time is our currency

So no one's rich, nobody's poor
We get twenty-four hours each
So how are you gonna spend

Will you invest or squander
Try to get ahead 

Or help someone who's under
I'm gonna do my best to "Invest" or increase times value going forward. Right now, the one under is me and I'm starting there.
(as the song fades)
"...every day is a gift that you've been given.  Make the most of the time every minute your livin." - Chris Rice

~ Kindle 
Keeping it positive and moving forward.