Friday, November 1, 2019

Never Again Volunteer Yourself, unless you want to. :)

Today's Words:
(Power) Inspired:

adjective
  1. 1.
    of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse.

(Force) Mundane: 
adjective
  1. 1.
    lacking interest or excitement; dull.

Upfront warning: this is a long blog entry concerning:
  • Body Fat Measuring
  • Self Leadership
  • Fear
  • Oh, What the Hell, Go for it anyway!
Housekeeping: Official Weigh Day 
(Wii: Day 2408  214.25#  BMI 31.74  Category: Obese)

Time to see "where I am": Gut check time.
Source: USN Body Fat Guide
Body Fat Calculators: Omni and Navy
Body Fat %:  Omni (35.2%) and Navy  (35%) for compare
Weight to move: @ 75# of Fat & that feels about right.
Note: Omni informs me that it is sorry for me. lol
Sorry, you are not fit enough to join the US Navy. Keep on training! 

*********
This is a blog to help me release some suppressed anger and accept peace as a new norm.  Transitioning from now to new.

The below story can be skipped if you are only reading for the hiking part.   I'm still researching and compiling data.

********

I was blessed to serve in the USN for 11 years, 2 months and 4 days.  A purposely and perfectly laid out plan ... Yeah, right. lol

Peace time.
During that time, muscle turned to fat. 
Boredom set in and mundane was daily life. 
It was a job.


Also, Co-existence was becoming more and more the new normal. 
I respect all men and women who serve, side by side in very tough conditions. 
Tough is just what it was and we just did what we did.
BUT
There was a time before co-existence in rate and rank.
Transition.

That was my time in service.  Seems like right at the beginning or was it the middle or ..... does not matter.
Men and Women served side by side as welders, electricians, pipe fitters, crane operators .... service trades, support trades, mainly shipyard trades.  Dock workers.

I managed to catch a billet to Guam for a few years with my young family and I took the bait.
I was a little mis-educated about reenlistment contracts and lets say, I had to work for this vacation a few more shifts than I should have.

The old ships career counselor got me.  Shame on me.   I missed the fine print .... that time.

Being the pissed off angry person that I can be some times, I vented my frustration to the new commands career counselor who was giving me my entrance indoctrination. 

This did not seem like a problem to him but a solution in disguise.
His solution: Offered me a gig to be his side kick for a year and help him keep the records straight as the NAVY was needing to get the fat out of the ranks.  Literally. 

For my volunteering to help, he would train me on how to become a divisional career counselor.  This "collateral duty" came with the privilege to get to know my detailer in  D.C. on a personal basis for my future while I helped others.  A Win Win.


It also came with highly increased responsibility and accountability.
I missed that fine print .... initially but eventually accepted my decision and my actions.
The beginning of "cutting my teeth" in leadership.

Clearances & permissions were needed to annotate only specific parts of records with many areas remaining covered (high level responsibility) and affecting persons careers by those annotations (high level accountability) cuz my pen marks could end promotion and advancement. 
A volunteer job and collateral duty that could end or stunt a career of someone I have no idea what their situation is.  Daunting task.


Watch out what you ask for, you might get it.  

Inspiration.

So, because of the temporary limited clearance and as this went forward, I got to meet everyone in the command at one time or another to do Body Fat Measurements on EVERYONE in the command.  Just so happens the Admiral, CO, XO and EVERYONE is everyone.

The Navy's goal was clear: Get Fit
& gathering base line data on ALL personnel was needed.

Attached to my new "collateral" duty came a slightly odd duty,
it was ASSUMED that since I had to do all the Body Fat Measurements that I must somehow understand fitness.
Nope.  At the time I played Softball and drank beer.

(side note memory)
My softball glove was so coveted cuz it was in PERFECT shape.
A spinning line drive to Third could stop spinning on impact.
Little sting but hey, that comes with the territory.
I did not like retrieving spinning orbs to throw 60 or 90 plus feet.
It took work to get what I wanted but if it was for my betterment, I spent the time and paid attention to detail. I do miss it.
Playing beer league is not a sport, it's fun and relaxing competition.

Back again....
Along comes the time I had to get permission to speak with the Seal Team. 
(I had some clue at the time what they were or did and I also had a Naval Directive to follow by the sheet in my hand.)

The commander assigned to me was a huge help.
I knew nothing about fitness and He was a solid muscle mountain.

For just asking a favor, part of his team and his self came to our
"All in the park workout before we had to run 1.5 miles (for the first time) jamboree." 
We all looked like a bunch of Klutz's in workout gear.
Bozo's :)  at least to a seals eyes I could only imagine. lol

Picture this:
160+ military members of the command in our local park, following my direction.  All unknowing of what was just to transpire.  Including me.


Boom boxes of music to move to, banner for some reason ... none of which was my idea.  Committees do odd things collectively.
Jus sayin.

A sheet of "guidelines" for me to share for stretching pre and post run, and then, running up the street to our location: A seal team, on time and then asking me permission to run so that the stopwatch could be pressed in my hand.


Being a man of his word and handshake, the "team" were there and opting to skip the circus show I was putting on, they ran their 1.5 miles in seconds it seemed so that I could record their time for their records.

 ********
Fear of speaking to crowds was not an option for me, it was required.
I've performed on stage so that made it easier.

Getting unmotivated, chubby and many overweight personnel to do calisthenics and run 1.5 miles (the very first time since boot camp) was complete fear for me.
Having a seal team show up to support ME made a big difference.
I'm blessed many times over for that.

It was the last time I'm certain that they ever had to do that.
The Navy directive seemed to have a clause in it the next year for special forces.  Good thing for me.  :) 


I was naive enough to ask and he was man enough to help me.
I am forever appreciative of the service of our special forces.
I was not taken out by one but helped.  :)

And I got his message loud and clear as he whispered it to me in passing on this way back to where ever they work or are passing thru ....

"This is our last conversation." 

I replied as only I should: Yes Sir!  Thank you Sir!   
30 plus years later, I still remember it, vividly.

I mention it because none of us know where or when we find our leadership qualities.  I got mine by mistake and haphazardness.
Fear in motion. Movement was required.
I had to volunteer to grow.  I didn't have answers just a task.
I was promoted because I cared to ask, and I read the rules.
Followed the rules and I was naive enough to move forward to task.  Others did not want to enforce the task from fear and I was nutz enough to follow the rules, line for line, on task.
The USN was bigger than all of us and I had it's backing in writing.


A point:
One thing for sure, we "should" be leaders of ourselves.
And this journey is going to be were I start to be who I know I can be - again.   Dodd. (Odd Dad)  I've got issues, lol.

Final notes from this: 
I am forever grateful for friendships I've had in the service and in my civilian life of constant career travels.
Too many people to list and the world is a big place.  Many have parted too.

This "All Hallows' Day"
, I raise a glass of Guinness.
Thank you, all you Saints in Military clothing, for your service.
Thank you, all Angels that appear in our presence from time to time in life.   

********
I remained a career counselor in some manner or sort till the day I walked away down the gang plank and away from my last guard shack on the pier. 
I've personally been blessed to have counseled hundreds to make THEIR best choice when it comes to career.  Sharing and comparing OPTIONS and the cream rises to the top.  The next ladder rung appears and one moves forward with their best choice made.
Positive and forward.  82% retention rate for 7 years of helping.


It seemed effortless and easy because I did the "fine print" reading for each one I helped.  I gave the "straight skinny" or NO BULLSHIT version of their contracts to them BEFORE they signed.  Each one I counseled knew EXACTLY what they were getting for their service and I was rewarded a Grade of 82%.
Even the 18% that left in time of peace had peace of mind with their decision and a path to follow as they became citizens again.
That again:  Included me. 
I just was willing to share what I was doing.

Some had to serve time in the slammer for their decisions,  others became entrepreneurs, college freshmen, or just go home to think about it and I cannot forget John: Philly Mafia Knee Cap breaker. 
He cracked me up and we got along fine.

I did not discriminate.  It was not my place to question.


Each had to and got to:
"Hike their own Hike" 
"Do their own Push Ups"


All I shared were ideas from a book.  I absorbed and shared stuff that was updated every year back then till even now. 


The information was needed by my own career countless times as I struggled to sometimes keep food on the table or roof over the family's heads. 
My path was mine.   
No regrets just some wishes unfulfilled.

********
Moving forward:
There's so much I cannot share for the sake of it's boredom but then there are moments of divine brilliance that hopefully will come thru this pre-trail journey and my memory that needs a dumping place.

One event: That Day, scored me a Sailor of the Quarter and then the Year.
I also received the Navy Achievement Medal for outstanding performance of a country boy from NY lost in a Japan Shipyard for 6 months.
Kinda like a 6 month hike.  Down into the basin, up the stairs to the gang plank, into the bowels of an environment.  Out of the environment, down the stairs, up the stairs .... I can do this.

********
Key trick: All I had to do was read.  Understand the basics. 
I'm doing that now with NOLS manuals and other key books.

Back then, I read the Safety Manuals rules and guidelines for the multiple jobs I was required to manage.  No one could argue with me and that was a good thing ..... for my anger.
Something larger than all of us was the pressure, not me.
I could manage that.  Sometimes to the point of manipulation.
I am not an angel ... yet. lol

With hiking, my knowledge is mine.  I have nothing to press and no anger to share.  It is very different and I need that right now.

The mixed bag of nutz I served with in the USN sure gave me a lift today.  God rest your souls my friends. 

Glad to see some are still active on a site called:
Together We Served.

Moving forward ......

~ Kindle