Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Scotty: the man, the myth, the legend - the seed of the AT hike

Word ... Roku :) 
A little getting used to but it is working as a cheaper replacement to DirecTV. 
Our current network though is confusing it a bit.

Initial setup:
I was able to convince CBS that I was in North Java, NY.
Next day, it held. Bills Game and then local Peace Bridge News.

3rd day, it decided it knew better and placed me in Louisville, KY.
4th day, I reside in Topeka, KS.   Roku & CBS: a place of it's own choice.

Maybe by Sunday, I'll be in Miami and blacked out cuz the game is not sold out, then again ... if I must for the cause, and one day, get it to be in Cheektowaga, NY for the game.
Or Williamsville, East Aurora, Pittsford ... Since the Roku changes itself, I should be able to test a new location then for local news.
Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cali ... for the sake of science.

⟴🙈🙉🙊😒😕⬲



(Power) Humorous 
adjective
  1. causing lighthearted laughter and amusement; comic.


(Force) Somber
djective
  1. dark or dull in color or tone; gloomy.

Each of us go from Mountain Top experiences to "The Fire Swamp" low valleys.

I'm not cornering anyone's market and I'm certainly not playing the Four Yorkshire Men game. 
Gotta: "One Up" the story of how bad or good it was.
I'm just sharing my experience which is still just mine.
A moment I can now look back and giggle about.
Move forward.

The "seed" of my AT hike was shared with me by an E-6 who grew up in a NY town close to where I did.  Out in the Farms of Western New York.


If I was unaware, he "Scotty" was making me aware that when he left, in a few months, I was to "inherit" his elevator shop and workload but not to include his "collateral" duties.

adjective
  1. 1.
    additional but subordinate; secondary.

This was back in @ 1987.  (I would have been 26 or 27 yo)
Scotty was going to leave the Navy and hike the Appalachian Trail to forget about Elevators and what not / bothersome frick frack.

Master plan from those above him and I decided:
I would then move my office out of the hallway by the exit to the flight deck and get his desk, file cabinets, tools that disappear and work load(s).  Yes he had elevators and such but a few lighting projects in various parts of a floating city that took me some time to find. 
(he gave me the "word on the street" from meetings I was not allowed to be in).

The shop was also shared with a crew from the Flight Deck Lighting team and that most likely, their work would be mine within the year. 
Both men helped me understand their work before they left.
It helped being eased into the roles than just being dumped on as it so happened later on the Kitty.

Scotty: The man was a Profit ... and ... a friend.  No BS.



********
Fast forward now to when the "More" was added at the end part:

We were standing in the Kitty Hawk Elevator, Escalator / Flt Dk Ctrl Ltg / 2nd deck, Com Twr, Under Stow Deck Cable Rip Out teams / E-Div CC Office / 400hz Gen Shop and a possible few more loose work loads at the end, as it ended up finally becoming.
Crews of 50+ for all of this was down to 8 and me.

I was even "Strongly Required" to qualify as E.O.O.W. towards the end of commissioning.  If interested, it consisted of knowing the Power Plant of the Kitty & Supervising the "Watch" of it.
All Engineering Spaces - a few hours a week.  Google has too much info out there for my taste.

Everyone should shoulder those types of responsibilities BEFORE age 30.  Family, 2 young (early grade school) children ... work pressure too of getting a "Weapon" out to sea and on time.

If it looks like I was getting bored in my last naval ship overhaul, Naw, peacetime has easy workload and stress.   Chaaa, Right! 


An E-6 will only end up with the duties of the same rank in the same vocation as the other supervisors leave the command. 
In overhaul, new crew do not generally arrive ... at the end.
New crew arrive before sea trials and shake down cruises.
Learn and Fix - Take to to the Danger Zone.
Get battle ready and Operation Desert Storm was the test before the commitment.  Things were ramping up on schedule.

If the shipboard crew cannot handle the work, the labor unions have a work force and are capable of "doing the finish work" at a cost.  I believe it was set up to be that way for the Christmas Bonus structure at the Dry Dock who holds the keys, so to say. 

I know that of all the Work loads I had to leave behind,  they were completed.  No delays.
Sadly, I carried some of them with me till this weekend and then Veterans day.  1990 Philadelphia Shipyard history is easy to google.

I left it better than when I arrived and that is all I've ever required of myself anywhere I've been.  Scouts Honor.

But now, the people.  The true souls who I remembered yesterday.
Each of their faces.  All I've had the pride to serve along side of.
Wow. A floodgate of great memories.  The true lives of those who serve.  I felt a shift on 11/11.  It was welcome to remember and it truly was not as painful.

********

There's a "tween" stage in overhaul. 
Repairs are completing.  Water float test was satisfactory.
Certifications are being performed for Shipyard to Ship hand off.
I left at the end of the hand off - 'tween' stage.

CC was my "Other Duties As Assigned" back when I only had one team of men for cable rip out. 
Managing 8 troublemakers, er, I mean trouble shooters was fairly easy.   Look um dead in the eyes the first day and say:


Rule #1: The Floggings will end when moral picks up.  :)


(Wonder where I saw that? He says knowingly ... then I would follow up with the other rules that they needed to understand before the end of the FIRST meeting).  Shock and awe.  Crazy helps. lol.


I've had awesome work crews.  No BS. 
It took a few weeks to get the point across about what No BS really means, but once understood, each of my crew watched out for each other and built themselves up a better esteem (self and team) along the way.

No matter where they (my crew) were finding themselves to start from ... 'the now' and being under my care as their supervisor.


Two way street.  If I did not hear their names from above, they would not hear mine from where ever I find them all the way back to the shop and the paper work "WE" would be needing to fill out.
It worked ... for the most part and when tested, I performed what I said I would do.  Others then did not test again and word spreads.
Word on the street.  Works for and against.  Jus sayin.

My crew took care of me and I rewarded them within the limits of the law or guidelines of the task.  It was an experience for sure.

I also had to note in their service records on a regular basis ... they understood as they were the first to fill out the divisional forms. 

I was honest, up front and no BS on the very first meeting.

I think I mentioned that having the power of making check marks in a service record that affect someones career is a blessing and a curse?  Well, as a supervisor of trouble makers, it added a level of protective blessing to my life. No BS. :)


Glad I was the Divisions Career Counselor.  I knew when the next work load would arrive for me to manage ... until the last one.
I was finally billeted to leave and try my hand at becoming a civilian.  I did care for each that I had the pleasure to help along the way and sometimes caring for many can have it's toll on a supervisor. 

Now I'm finally learning to Leave work at work. 
Keep home at home.
Damn, that's been long overdue, leave the ship at the pier ... again.

I'm still struggling with the Civil part of life at times.
Especially here in KY.  So beautiful with snow this morning.
I needed the "divine interference" it provided just for me.
Welcome to my morning ~ John Denver used to sing.

My days now start with gratitude and thanks.
A spark is beginning to kindle.

More tomorrow ... moving forward.


~ Kindle