Wednesday, January 1, 2020

“Expectations are the mother of disappointment.” - a Hiker saying & Happy New Year!

Words.  Set #75  counting down.

(Power) Thrifty

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a person or their behavior) using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully.

(Force) Cheap
adjective
  1. (of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.

***********

The Bills schedule of teams was announced for next year.  The dates will be awarded to the games sometime in April near the Draft.

KC in Buffalo and Buffalo in Vegas Baby!
A Hampton Inn is just blocks from the new stadium.

Hummmm .... I'll find out near the beginning of my hike in April when they play.   Then again, it is only a game.


I'll be out hiking after I find out the dates and crowds are what I'll be out there avoiding.  Coming out of the woods to be in a crowd ... decision change: I'll watch them on TV.  Cheaper.  :)

Well that was an interesting moment. 
Talking myself out of desiring to travel to a game that I most likely cannot afford to go to anyway.
In a way, my expectation did end up as a disappointment.
I was wondering how I was going to segway that saying into this text.  It happened.


If one does not "expect" and just "allows" ... 
no disappointments are received, only gifts.  
The present.
Thanks Source!  :)

**********

I found this yesterday on the Trek web site.
The Trek web page has there is a lot of "recent" pertinent data many have shared in their rants and raves.

This post was to help people not leave the trail pre-maturely and it starts with a question:
Ready to Quit?  Read this first.

This post is about mercy.
It’s about revising your Appalachian Trail plan- or your life plan– without apology.
It’s about ambiguity and acceptance and really good pie.
It’s about hikes that end. And begin again.
It’s about the decision to keep walking.
What do you mean by mercy?
Dictionary definition:
mer·cy /ˈmərsē/
1. Compassion or forgiveness
2. An event to be grateful for, especially because it prevents something unpleasant or provides relief from suffering
3. Especially of a journey or mission- motivated by compassion

So many of the people I know who got off trail got separated for a prolonged time from their trail family, or felt somehow distanced from others on the trail socially.
Remember, out here the people you hike and camp with are not just pals like back in the real world.
They are your coworkers, your neighbors, your friend group, and your family. 
We don’t have somewhere else to go to – phone and text notwithstanding – for moral and emotional support in person.

So again I entreat you – have mercy.
Have mercy for whomever you happen to find yourself around, even if they are passing day-hikers or section-hikers. 
Even if they are not “that amazing group you hiked with way back when.”
Have mercy for your past, present, and future groups of fellow hikers, who may or may not be all that you need or want them to be. 
They may not fully understand you or vice versa. 
But you are sharing together something special and hard and unique, and everyone’s pretty much doing the best they can.

Most of all have mercy for yourself, for still doing this thing without your network of community back home. 
Thank yourself for what you’ve been able to do thus far. 
And thank the AT for giving you a place to do it.

Forgiveness and Mercy before I start.  That's a good start.
I was looking thru some of the 1000 peoples so far who have registered for hiking this year.  Many have profile pictures and blogs started.  Some have adventures left to be completed from past attempts, some are starting out fresh like I.
All in all, "I", like "them", have little LONG DISTANCE hiking experience.  We all some camping experiences but many have little long hiking experiences.  Planned Hikes.
I have 2 under my belt of 50 and 37 miles.  I don't count them since they happened decades ago. Times and things change.

So, yes I do know how to do without and to do with crushed things and crumbs.  Freezing, being cold, being muddy, being rained on, being tired at the end of a day.
Having fingers that could not light a lighter or a match ... that is a memory I desire to make sure it sticks in my mind.


Cuts, abrasions, knicks ... they all happen.
Goal: to make sure I do not feel that feeling again of being fire helpless.  Slow and steady.  Hunker down when required.

*************

Hiker: #T9611  (Optional A.T. Pre-Hike Registration)

Optional "except" it is needed to enter and register for a hiking permit at Baxter to hike up Katahdin. 
Only 3000 or so of them being administered each year.

That is just one of the many reasons I choose to walk in 3 sections in stead of just one continuous.
* The Best Seasons for the sections
* The Most Solitude for the journey
* I will see Katahdin as I walk towards her and I'll be early enough to get a pass to hike her.
* The South will be changing colors as I hike that last area.


***********
And of course: Happy New Year!
Make it your best one on record!

*************
Thrifty:

Building some equipment that I care to know how it's constructed to hold up and then I'll understand better how to repair it if it rips or tears or crushes.

Looking for deals and getting some with extra work with the deals like mold removal or mending.  Life happens to us all.
Then I get deals that are too good to be true at 60 to 70% off.

It all balances out. 

Weight (Body) today is 208# and steady on my 3 week plateau.
I've always plateaued near 200#.  I'll be past this soon.

Lastly, I start the year at a Zero Balance for this adventure.
I've spent nearly $2500 so far on logistics, equipment and some food for testing.  
I've much to do and will keep moving forward.
Wait for the next payday and keep doing what I'm doin.
I have shoes, backpack, mail drops, travel and food to still consider.  At least the equipment list is getting smaller.
I've found my stash of filters, ditty bags, towels and such.
The little things that add up to pounds on the back.

According to last years hiker trash data, I'm on the low end of the cost spectrum.  I hope to keep it that way.
Average is $1000 a month. 
I've not even started the first month and I'm 2.5 months into this according to that stat.  (5 to 8 months).


Full trip averages $5000 to $8000 depending upon the town stays, pizza and beer.

One hiker last year exceeded $15,000 !!!
Medical lift off of a mountain was included in their costs.
Some others that spent that much were just rich.

These are hikers from all over the world who attempt this trek.  I'm glad and thankful that they are sharing their words.


Moving Forward into 2020!
~ Kindle