Friday, January 3, 2020

2019 a local year in review - Thankfulness of Dawn

Words.  Set # 73  counting down.

(Power) Being
noun
  1. 1.
    existence.

(Force) Having
verb
gerund or present participle: having
  1. 1.
    possess, own, or hold.

************
The movie "Being There" with the star Peter Sellers comes to mind when I see today's word.

Today I find in my search a 5 min YouTube on the "Art of a Gag" using Being There as the material. 
I in fact will move forward into "learning" of making film "Snipets" (Natural Lighting, Aperture, Framing, Focus, Subject) etc etc etc.

What "awoke" this thought ... I filmed a commercial & wrote a Christmas Play that was a performance (personal) flop in High School.  Shop Class and Drama After School.

I decided last night that I will film "events" along my journey.
Seed was planted from long ago.

*******

WAY BACK in my learning, I spent a few class terms in the Attica School Offset Press shop.  I did not work for the school paper, I helped mass produce it.  Shooting images onto metal templates.
Processing the metal templates in baths of Chemicals.
Cleaning up the residue and over processing of letters, pictures and characters with an pencil eraser.

All Chemicals were provided by a near by Kodak corporation for use in our darkroom. 
Yes, I processed pictures and metal printing templates in a dark room at one point of my life. 
A early "Peter Parker" / Spiderman comic book dream.
I realize it now, that dream came true too.

I always was tasked with "monitoring" the off set press as it fed the reams of paper in the one side by vacuum suction cups picking up one piece of paper at a time and feeding it into the process.
At the end .... a ways down a chain driven conveyor a bit, lay the landing spot for the reams which would then need to be restacked in the machine to then "run" the second plate to print the backside.

If color was desired, we had to run the stacks thru the machine as many times as there were colors.  Timing marks and color targets needed to be "alligned" by test sheets. 
It was a PITA factor of 7 to run but it taught me a little about machine and man automation of the age past.  Tweaks are needed from time to time to make things run smooth.

My desire to "tune up" a few precision sewing machines finally is peaked.  I've read enough of the service manuals to "know" I can do this on a professional level at home.  For my needs right now, not as a business.

Back to the learning:
That same Shop Class that taught Photography, Development of Film, A/V cameras (pre-VHS), and VHS cameras which were large at the time.  One of our assignments was to write a commercial and film it.  I did half of that, I filmed one.  The writing came from Cheech and Chong's skit "The Empire Hancock Building".

I believe the ending about there being "Six diving boards so there's never any wait ..." caught the attention of my English Teacher who was in attendance at the viewing.   Miss Smith made it a point in her life to interact with mine to discuss the tensions of growing up in a home of ... whatever it is that we grow up with trying to process as a teen.

None the less, I learned how to produce, direct, star in and create "snipets" if I need to.   Possible impromptu as well.
Penny Grateful and I were students in an Impromptu Comedy weekend class down in Orlando, FL several years past.

1, 2, Funny is the formula.  Being There is the Gift.  The Present.

I'm looking forward to utilizing today's YouTube learning as well.
It is all created on the editors time which will be AFTER the hike.
That is where I need to spend my learning time, on the editors screen.

If something happens along the trail (by my definition of divine intervention) I'll be sure to share.

*********
I was reading this weeks local paper before I started writing today.
2019 year in review.
This area of Kentucky, rural farmland, is so reminiscent of my childhood.  Yes, there are more dangers here than up in North Java, NY but all it all, it just comes with the environment and territory.

One matures with the dangers that surround them and either remains unaware that they exist so closely or are aware and awake on how to deal with the dangers safer than at other times.

None the less, the year was a year.
Fires, Arrests, Greased Pigs cornered by the quickest youngin' at the Fair.

Life cycles. 

One thing I learned long ago from bouncing from location to location on this planet ... If one needs to beef up their knowledge quickly in a new area, the local library and it's news paper collection really is a great place to "enlighten" oneself to the new environment and tribe territory they are in.  Just makes sense to know who you live near and around.  

One interesting fact:
We (as a county) are 1 year into voting a "Wet" ordinance into our lives and existence.
The opposition that was venomous about keeping the county "DRY" was barely overturned.
The Church(s) were directly behind the opposition and the newspaper carried their viewpoint well. 
This IS the bible belt after all and "should" be expected.

Concerns were - enabling a problem known in the area of DUI and litter.  Destroying families and the moral issues that people whom do not understand moderation can cause.

Valid without proof that selling it here would make it worse.
Possibly for the ones that drink at home and don't confess at church, this is a problem.
But for the progressives, they were tired of having to drive to get hooch. 
I am included and I don't drink much at all anymore.
The progressives got their win.

1 year later:
FEARS that propagated from the pulpits was proven to be false fears and anxiety.  Crime did change. 
Litter became less between the county lines that did sell alcohol.
DUI's became less because county residents did not have to travel to get beer and drink a few on their way home after work like my Dad always did. 
I would hope to believe that Fathers are arriving home not buzzed for the first time in a lot of children's lives around here.

Tax money is helping to build a county seat.
Revenue from alcohol sales more than paid back the county load that was needed to set up an Alcohol Regulation Division for taxation and training.  Now the money maintains the division and provides needed training for offenders to hopefully keep them at one time offenders and not life time offenders as many are.

Change takes time.  Morality cannot be legislated.
********
The Thankfulness of Dawn each day.
In our same little local paper, I read an article by
William F. Holland Jr., DD.. C.ED.D. 
Minister / Chaplain entitled:
"Being Thankful Is A State Of Mind"

I've met Billy.  He was singing Christmas tunes and Church songs to the patrons of Hope Lodge in Lexington, KY.
Came once a month so I've actually met him 3 times.

Each time was a pleasure.  He is kind, considerate and a singer/musician with a passion of giving his best to God in what he does.  Bless his heart.  Truly.

Now I'm not one to ask what all the DD's and other letters are after one's name.  Apparently it has something to do with classes and tests taken because money was spent for them. 

When I met him, he was committed in his promise to God to serve.
As I read his articles most weeks, he is still committed and I respect that.  I imagine it helps pay the bills for him so that he can go out and give and serve the ones he comes in contact daily to give and serve to.  Living his life.

None the less, his article to begin this year touches off on something I consider each morning now at 5:55 AM.

As I "swing" my body out of bed each morning and not be in much pain, I agree that I give a word of "Thanks" to the Source.

The many years of not wanting to wake up from sleep because of the instance of intense pain the first moment of the day were agony.
I'm thankful my resilient, healing body system found a way to "reset" itself and is continuing to work with what I can do instead of all the things that I'm not quite able to do.
Yesterday still has nothing to do with what I can do today.

So, this morning I will agree with Billy that waking up, swinging feet to the floor to stand is nothing less than a miracle.
I have taken my blessings for granted before.
Each day I'm reminded to count them more.
"Name them one by one" as the church Sunday school song used to have us recite.

#1: I turn around from my desk here to see that our sun is just beginning to peek over the mountains to the East.
Clouds are keeping back the light but the mountains across the Red River Valley are "Smoky" like the ones in TN. 
I am thankful for the dawn. 

I get to start fresh each morning making "New" and hopefully not repeated mistakes.
A normal day!  :)

Keep moving forward!

~ Kindle.