Sunday, January 5, 2020

Stoves, HH and the Bills "Next Year"

Word. Set # 71 counting down and now more focused.
About 101 days till I walk and there is much to do ... much to do.
This is my 100th blog post.  I guess that is some milestone. "meh"


(Power) Prolific

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a plant, animal, or person) producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring.

(Force) Barren
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of land) too poor to produce much or any vegetation.

*******
Seeking to make 32 holes around this can bottom, with these pins.
(.60 mm pins +/- .02)
Quilting Pin is the longer, stouter pin.
The short one is a standard sewing pin.


I'll be using the Quilting pin as it seems to have been produced by a company with a little higher standard for pin making.  The shafts of the pin are really uniform and mostly straight at .58mm to .60mm
That falls within my tolerance guidelines for this DIY stove.
The smaller pin goes from .58 to .62 along the pins shaft.
That being a little larger, I'll save that as a second pass if needed in my precision holes.  They are cheaply made as it should be for what they do.


Feeling the difference in the wire used to make the pins was interesting.  
Reminded me of a conversation I once had with a College Dropout who was forced to work in a pallet nail factory because the Educational Institution lost his payment for school.

The nail factory taught him skills that would never be mastered in a class or lab anyway.  Burring fork trucks in gravel parking lots comes to mind, lol.

Took the school a whole semester (or was it a year) to fix the issue and apologize.  
That was TOO late.
The man decided to go it on his own and that has made all the difference.

The conversation was about wire composition and of "how do you stretch steel to that small without snap?"

The College thing where they would not allow him to pay to go ... I think it was the Universe telling the brilliant young mind that they would be able to make it without the degree.  lol  And HE did!

Back to pin wire:

The two different pins "feel" different enough to make it easy to choose which will work well for this project.

In deciding on making Pepsi/Guinness Alcohol stoves for my adventure, the first issue faced was making the precision holes needed to create the best jets for blue flame cooking.
I have made stoves in my past that have semi blue/mostly orange flames and I used a Push Pin to create the jets on those older stoves.
Precision drill bits are too expensive and snap too easily for this job.  It needs to be able to be reproduced in the field if necessary.

Back then, I did not use a measuring device to verify the shaft of the push pin that most likely was bent and thicker in diameter.


Now that I have a very inexpensive way to make gas jets, I can move forward.
The cost of purchasing a drill bit for a .6mm hole was enough for me to find another option.  Punching the holes is going to work just fine.  

It will be a two part process:
1st - make a tiny pierce at all 32 points around the rim.
(exact placement up the bottoms slope has yet to be determined)

2nd - on an "undetermined at this time" angle, finish piercing the hole to within my hole tolerances to create a Vortex of flame.

Test, test, test, test  .... modifying along the development.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my data to build one is correct and I will not be making any changes in the three different stoves I will be creating.   I did a lot of testing back in VA 10 years ago with my 6 prototypes. I know specifically what I desire to make. 
Also, having troubleshot GE Mark V control systems for our turbines to find out which gas jet of them all was plugged by calculating our vortex of heat back to it's source while in full production mode was helpful in my understanding of this design.
(The link goes to the Mark V control system description overlay PDF)

This was all back in the day when I thought I was in my dream career and making electricity from too much steam that I was responsible for making as well.
Toilets To Turbines, at INDECK Energy, we could do it all.
I really do miss that career sometimes.  It was just not to be.
(The Indeck link will take you to a page that shows the Power Plants still out there .... Oswego and Olean are the two I seen and help to build from prints.  Field and mud to full certifications and production.)  EPA, OSHA, Niagara Mohawk Power ... Good times.
So much to still forget.  Flashes of stuff.  Natural Gas compressors, Large Fuel Tanks of Oil and deliveries, Ammonia, Acid and Caustic Storage, containment and disposal.  Yep, good times.

If you happen to be real bored: HERE is a link to a GE Steam Turbine PDF of knowledge. 
1800# of PURE H2O Super Heated Steam has to be put to good work don't cha know.
1500# of Silica Free Super Heated Steam at the Throat of the Steam Turbine and 30# of HIGH VOLUME PURE steam for industry to use as it was one of our waste products out of the Graham condenser.   Negative pressures.

And HRSG's are a work of art with flue gasses that can close a plant down by the Federal Government in 15 min if left uncontrolled out the stack into the environment. 
At the cost of thousands of $$$$ a second.

78 MW/13.8 KV of waste Electricity and 30# of High Volume Pure (waste) Steam for Industry.  An awesome business until the Monopoly changed the rules and I become injured. 
The universe moved me to the next bleeding edges .... Corporation Communications and Education Networks in the Y2K age.

Back to my stove ....

Three types: 
1) 32 jet alcohol burner
(w/ modified trial simmer ring for baking)


2) Single center jet alcohol burner for baking & simmering
(a modified Penny Stove)

3) Modified Little Dandy wood burner for showers and larger pots



*********
My HH made it back from 2QZQ with some add ons for my trip.
Not only did they add a zipper to the FULL  back side of the factory HH tarp, they added 4 extra zipper pulls!  

Kinda hard to describe but the end result is that I have a Zipper pull for each side at the Head of my Tarp that will allow for the full Net to be removed.
At the mid point of each Zipper Length, I have 2 pulls on each side to be able to zip it open in either direction.  Head or Foot.
Perfect!   I felt like it would restrict me to only have one side that I could egress from.  Now it is indeed, perfect.

With the package came two tarp pole sleeve pockets that I'll be adding to my Winter Tarp to hold up the center.  A Modification from the original design that I have yet to sew together.  Now I can.

I also purchased a bag for the head of my tarp that is tapered to fit into the cavity above my head in the hammock. 
The second bag is larger than the one that came with the zipper work that hides, or should I say stows, the screen when it is not being used at the foot of my HH Hotel.

I purchased their Tree Table.  Easier/quicker/stronger than making one from scratch and a fantastic idea to ALWAYS  have a level surface to set my stove kit up on every time I cook.

One last purchase was a 4 sleeve ditty bag that will run on my ridge line inside the screening with the one that HH gives with the hammock.
I like keeping things within reach and the HH bag was a single, deep screen.  Might hold a water bottle ... might.
I needed glasses and alarm and phone types of holders.

Added to the package were 3 unexpected items:
A 13" strip of Velcro, a $1 bill, a slice of 3 views of a Rice A Roni box bottom/front/side.

The velcro was for a request if they could sew some to close up the two layers of my hammock where the insulation is placed.
It is hard to describe so they gave me a few strips that they use to help my cause.
The $1 is ???   I guess to purchase a box of Rice a Roni.
I'm accepting it as a good will offering for my travel.

The Rice A Roni costs $1 at Wal Mart and $3 a box on Amazon.
It could be delivered to the trail for me. lol.

The box bottom reveals the companies "Less Saturated Fat" directions for cooking which coincides with trail type cooking.
Using Olive Oil instead of butter.
The Bar Code says it is the Creamy 4 Cheese version.
That could be crucial information in this clue.
One box serves 2.5 people or 1/2 hungry hiker.   
@750 calories for a full box at dinner or lunch would be my guess.
1 box is probably 100% of the daily recommended amount of Sodium too.

With 12 flavors ... there is a thought of what I will have and can pick up all along the trail from time to time.  I guess I'll test a box soon.
I'm almost set to start making up "baking and breakfast" bags for my mail drops.  I like the mixes I've found in hiking books and desire to try a few.
Dinners and Lunches are a bit trickier.
I've several baking items I need to test before I mass produce a few too.  I best make a stove soon now that I have my tree table.

********

 Here's the gear:

Seen from left to right: Bag to house the zippered (non-detachable) screen.
Blue and Screen colored 4 pouch ridge line
a $1 bill that was in our package for my trip.  A Good Will Offering.

ta
From Left to right again,  2QZQ tree table and under it is my tarp pole holders and the carry bag for the table, a Rice A Roni box bottom and a blue bag that will reside in the opposite end of my HH for a jacket stow or blanket or something to be stuffed in it.

All laid out in one picture.

************
Finally, the Buffalo Bills get to watch the rest of the playoffs from home ... so does Tom Brady and the NE Pats.
The second part helps ease the pain a bit of a long season of cost.

NFL costs money IF you specifically follow one team.
This year, the network flex scheduling took a bit more of my capital than I cared to part with to watch my team play this year.
Cheaper than going to the games physically for sure but still a sting to my wallet.

I'm back to paying just to watch Colbert without commercials, lol.
No plans on football next year.  I'll take what shows up when it arrives.
Moving Forward,
~ Kindle

P.S.  my past ability to memorize things that were important to my job did continue past my understanding that it was important to my continuing careers to continue doing that practice.

Some of these figures and tables in the list way below …. I can see glimpses of them still.  Thick manuals with copies in the Managers Offices, the Control Room with the "Cat Bird" Seat of Focus and down in the control cabinet for the beasts themselves to save walking time in crisis.

I, having interacted with 2 Sister machines for over 6 years ... some things just remain part of our makeup.  Tough to shake.


And this was just ONE machine in the plant. 
Yes, it was the Main Heat source but just one machine of machines.
Had to know and understand them all to be there. 
From mud up.
Twice.

And that's the trick to building a Technician from the Mud Up.
Stick 'em in the Bilges of a ship changing out live level indicators while the warm and hot liquid swishes to and fro … to and fro.

Place them on a Ships mast in Port … out on the furthest of the yardarm to change out the 5 aircraft warning lamps … both Port and Starboard …. while being tethered to your supervisor who informs you that YOUR existence is in their control.
Do not cross them for the next 3 years as they operate one faction of the Mafia Style black market found on any USS vessel.
Ours was set under family standard adapted from Italy.
Visiting Napoli and dining with my other 2nd Generation friends family back home eased the meaning of "why" and "how" it works for them.
Rules at sea where darkness and ocean are the only thing to hear you scream … that is, if found to be out of line.


All I did different to survive in the "city" environment called a USS vessel was blend into the streets.  Just like I blended into "clics" in H.S. - be a fraction of them all.  And questionable as to why I was there in their midst to begin with.  Always on the edge.

On a USS vessel, and being an Electrician is now WHY the Universe worked with my failures to help build me to become me.
I choose Nuclear Electronics and my stupidity and drunken car crash (that did not happen on the books) caused a ripple in my time line of life.
I came out of that "accident" no longer a Nuclear candidate but a mis-fit, failure, 2nd chance Electrician.  Who got to play near, around and with Nuclear stuffs.  But that would take time and adventure before it was to be.

My first assignment for self was to "PROVE TO THE WORLD" that I was not a failure and then I "tripped" my way to BE the BEST at my job.  I had HIGH friends in places ALL over the ship.

To be the best "Sparky" there was on that ship, I had to know and see ALL of the ship.  Oddly enough, it was one of my watch responsibilities to touch every "unsealed" compartments on the ship.  Sound and Security while in port and on Shore Power.

All of my education came at a cost and I was willing to put in the work.  Hours and hours of reading books that were dusty.
Morally, Ethically, Honorably as I could while smoking weed.
Smoking weed kept me from being fish food.  A Great Exchange.

Building a great technician … teach them to learn and love learning.  Machines are parts …. master the parts and OHM's law. :)

The seed comes from a Man who had Zero desire that his children walk in the footsteps of learning that their father needed to.
Do as I say, not as I do.   I guess I became like my Dad after all.

More will dump out later …. I'm sure of it.


LIST OF FIGURES
Figure 1. Gas turbine generator controls and limits
Figure 2. Gas turbine fuel control
Figure 3. Dual fuel transfer characteristics gas to liquid
Figure 4. Gas fuel control system
Figure 5. Liquid fuel control system
Figure 6. Typical gas turbine starting characteristics
Figure 7. Protective system block diagram; SPEEDTRONIC™ Mark V turbine control
Figure 8. Standard control configuration
Figure 9. Digital servo position loops
Figure 10.Mark V operator interface
Figure 11.Mark V turbine control panel
Figure 12.Panel internal arrangement
Figure 13.Module map of panel interior
Figure 14.Typical processor module
Figure 15.Control system reliability

LIST OF TABLES
Table 1. Advances in electronic control concepts
Table 2. Gas turbine control philosophy
Table 3. Simple cycle package power plant starting times
Table 4. Critical redundant sensors
Table 5. Interfacing options
Table 6. Operator interface functions
Table 7. Monitoring and diagnostics