Saturday, October 19, 2019

OK to hike the Appalachian "Trials"

As I've mentioned before, quite a while back.... I've hiked the ENTIRE width of the Appalachian Trail! :)

Well, today (October 19, 2019) I was given the OK by my cancer recovering hiking partner to go for my dream.  Hike the Appalachian Trail in 3 (three) 700+ mile sections called the Cool Breeze.
She will support me from home, where ever that happens to be when I attempt my goal.
It comes to reason, the radiation has had it's toll on her hip and until it is replaced, hiking is out of the question especially when walking is sometimes an issue.  Especially down hill.

So, starting from here with nothing but knowledge, skill and a few books to re-read, I begin.
To the Trail lives.  I trust that soon it will become: On the Trail and then After the Trail for a bit.

After I was given the verbal support I needed from Penny Grateful, I opened up two books:
my Author Autographed version of "Living a Dream" by Paralee Dawson and "Appalachian Trials" by Zach Davis.
Paralee reminded me that she too has a bad spine and started at an older age (I'm 59 in a few days) and Zach reminded me that I needed a "WHY" for the times I might (and most likely will) want to quit.

So, I got on the treadmill this Saturday to think of my "WHY" and I walked for and hour.  Flat, slight incline with numb arms and legs from my very restless night sleeping.  Yee Haw!   Just another "New Normal" day.  :)

I started out with performing Zach's request on page 29: Commit responses to writing. Do it NOW!
He was serious.  No Bullshit and not kidding.  So I obliged.  Eye opening for sure.

I'm also being encouraged by Zach to blog every day.  Since I have started this blog for the reason, it's time I add to it monthly, weekly or daily..... (not every six months to a year) we shall see.

What did I come up with for reasons to hike the AT?  Of the 24 I wrote down while walking, here are a few that shine for me.....
  • I want to (not have to)
  • The dream "seed" was planted while I was stationed on the USS KittyHawk in overhaul in Philly by the 1st Class Electrician I was replacing - Scott's dream to forget the Shitty Kitty.  I too desire to forget not only the Kitty but also many other 11 yr, 2 month and 4 days of my USN service to our country,  (1978-1990)  Wow, 32 years goes by quick when life takes over.
  • I desire the challenges even with my disabled body.
  • Accomplishing this goal will be something to smile about.
  • My Body's Aching and My time is at hand.....walk on down a country road like my childhood.
  • Hot Air for a Cool Breeze......did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a lead roll in a cage?
  • The Journey.
Thank you A.W.O.L. for selling me the PDF that I desired to create (back in @ 2003) for this journey. Your work will make mine so much easier now.

As time had it, I gave away most ALL of my gear to a young teen who needed time with his Mom in the woods to break from the craziness called life in Kentucky.  His Mom, former Army, enjoyed the equipment as well.  3 hammocks, tarps, packs and odds and ends to make their weekend trips enjoyable and safer in the Daniel Boone National Forest which surrounds us here.

The power of NOW is that I begin with MAJOR changes in technology and gear that is lighter for my saunter in the woods.   I'm 208# as of yesterday.... still 50+ pounds over what I desire to be and that encourages me to know I will loose my pack weight.  I "SHOULD" never be this heavy with a full pack EVER.   But if I am, my frame can get me along if need be.  I am sure of it.

GOAL:  
Starting on April 15th 2020 and finishing before Election Day 2020: Thru-Hike the AT in 3 sections.
I'll begin sorting out my itinerary soon.....If possible, I will finish on my 60th Birthday.

Writing it down sure adds a little pressure I was not expecting.  I should do it before life takes me to the West Coast to retire on a weed farm, not a farm of weeds. lol

Let's see what tomorrow brings.  

Keep it simple, keep it positive and keep moving forward, always forward.

~ Kindle