Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Pain, Trials & Realizations .... Moving Forward on plan

Moving into my new body shell as it changes has been .... interesting.

This morning, I awake to something new .... knee joint discomfort.
Good thing!  I was waiting for this day.  Do I start taking Vitamin "I" or rest as my body acclimates?   The questions begin, lol.

I'm going rest first as pills are 2nd to my last resort. 
"Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food", I understand.

Which brings me to a very good point in this journey quest, that if only after 2 continuous days of walking on a flat treadmill, for over 10,000 steps each day, (roughly 3.5 miles each day right now), I am slower and in discomfort .... how will I handle the trail as I 
acclimate to it?  One moment at a time will be my answer - pure joy! :)

I guess I'll find out when I get there.  I'm learning to fly.  Thanks Tom Petty.

*********
Another odd thing appeared twice from two different sources as well yesterday: Death on the Trail.
Apparently, a man (trail name: Open Mike) passed away on the trail in 2011.  I first read of it as I finished up the book: "Appalachian Trials" by Zach Davis, and I'll say that I did not see that coming.

Later in the day, I then read of others named Mike, that also passed on the trail in the past 6 days and in the past few years.
I'm glad my given name is Pete.  Nick Named: Zak
Trail blessed: Kindle  - as I like fires from spark to blaze.
(for the record, I was Kindle {circa: 2004} before Amazon used it for books which was Nov 19, 2007 for their Kindle launch)  Reason I know: 11/19 is my younger  brothers birthday - it stuck out from memory and I dealt with A LOT of hiker trash talk about me being electronics in the woods (especially when I did not carry electronics in the woods).  Hikers are odd for sure, I am one too.

Thanks to the trash talk, McGuinness was added to my hiking handle to cause a pause in others thinking.  To date, it has worked.

I added: McGuinness for the love of beer and the possibility of wearing a Kilt, hiking as a Highlander - Go Radford Rowdy Red! lol.

Back to death by hiking:
I was not searching for it, I was looking for "under ware" brands preferred by male hikers, not death.  I guess that is the ultimate in pain relief, none.  In each of the 3 "Mike" A.T. Death cases, seems they miscalculated a move and it was their last. Happens.

So, it opened up my mind to consider that my affairs best be in order before I begin my April 2020 trek.  I found my guide:
"I'm Dead, Now What?" by Peter Pauper Press.

Now this is not the first time I've had to consider myself deceased and then work the time line backwards to my present life to construct my last wishes.   I think I've mentioned that I'm former Navy.  Being dead first in order to perform under extreme pressures for the ship in battle conditions was a thought process I've taken myself thru before.  Ain't Skeered.  Just a responsibility I need to uphold myself to by being accountable for myself to and thru the end. Shit happens then we all end up dead eventually.  Just a fact.

********
Then comes today. 
I wake in pain .... nothing new, just a new normal day!  :)

Communication has begun with some in my life who are encouraging me to do this hike, FINALLY!  I think they were tired of my Springer Fever moments each year for the past 2 dozen.

I found my library saved: Seems, when I have a notion for a future event in my life, (aka: a Dream), I collect data to signify the time spent thinking thru the event, long before it happens.

Well, It appears that the last time I was getting Springer Fever, was between 2004 and 2009.  Yep, 5 years I mentioned I was going to do the trail ..... life got in the way.  I was as close as I could be back then.  Meeting the rock stars: Baltimore Jack on Fathers Day 2006 at Angels Rest in Pearisburg Virginia, (R.I.P. dude). 
Then there was Trail Daze: A.W.O.L. , Lion King, What?, Persistent and Certain to name a few. Trail pros in my eyes.

I was still too far from hiking as I still needed to eat and pay bills back then.  Working for a University Library, I was reading everything I could find and I also picked up some materials (Books, Mags, DVD's, etc) to review to keep me close to my dream.
I also did several hikes to McAfee Knob including the day I met a 76 yo man (On his Birthday) who's father bulldosed the initial path to that outcropping.  Seen the pictures of the Model T ford on the Knob and the bulldozer ON the knob as well.   He was a HOOT! 
I know I have the pictures of the day on a stored drive somewhere.
Memories.   I know I can do this.

Last but not least: I figured out how the beautiful Yellow Book, Appalachian Trials entered my life.
Final page: Printed in Lexington, KY (02 March 2014)

I was working for Amazon Fulfillment in Lexington.
I was J.O.B. at the time (Just Over Broke) and still very much disabled.  I know that "Picking and Stowing" kicked my ass.
Keeping up with their insane "quotas" had me working overtime in the Book Printing area of the facility to make up time by placing newly printed books on the shelves for pickup.
Most all of the books were print on demand, so they were sold before I could place them to be picked up for packaging.
I must have been thinking "March 4th!" and had Springer Fever for Zach Davis' book would have caught my eyes as I most likely had to place several copies on the shelves in various cubbies.  I would write down the titles of books that interested me and then later I would purchase those titles from home, usually to arrive the next day. 

Yeah, working within the belly of the A-Z beast was a great LAST employment job.  The speed was not difficult, the recovery was.
Night shift also ages one quicker I believe.  Body clock gets all wonked.

Anyhoo .... enough of that.  I'm planning a life time "Epic Shit" Adventure!   ESA .... hmmm.  EEEE Sah!  Needs refining. :)
*********
I'm monitoring my health closely as I've begun training for this ESA. My son Zack purchased BioStraps for Penny Grateful and I.

It's a Sleep Tracker and Health & Activity troubleshooter.
Hacking my body to see where I need to adjust its Biometrics.  lol

Moving Forward.

~ Kindle