Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Walk In The Woods

I just have to comment about how this book has changed my life.

I first read "A Walk In The Woods" early during my employment for Radford University, McConnell Library.
 After laughing through most of the entire text, I found that the AT was very near where I worked, played and lived.

Thus began our first mis-adventure with overloaded backs and packs, on our way to witness the spectacle called McAfee Knob.

All of the gear was borrowed and we carried 3 days worth of water for I did not own a filter and we had no clue if there would be water when we arrived in camp.  Oh the memories.

We had a great time and the bug had bit us.

Now that the book is a movie, the book affects me differently.
I too desired to film my adventure (and I still may) but now there are more hoops to jump though because of Mr. Redford, National Geographic and the recent Hollywood style of movie making on the AT.  The independents (like myself) just now have to get more signatures, permissions and paperwork.


I'm not bothered by that but rather on the contrary, I'm elated that the recent films of the AT were made.  I just know that now, I have to cover a few more bases if I'm to film my adventures.  I'll get to that bridge when it arrives.  That will make my phone and iPad hiking necessities.  :)
 

As for the new Sundance film, I would like to view it on the big screen and hopefully it will still be in theaters when I have some play money.
If not, I know I will own the DVD to share with family.

Here is a link to the films web page in case you need it:
http://www.walkinthewoodsmovie.com/

~ Kindle